Chapter 16: A Good Life

CHAPTER 16: A GOOD LIFE

Demi’s POV:

Have tickets for a Lakers game next week. Wanna go? The text read.

“Who is it babe?” Joe asked, eyeing me curiously.

“Oh it’s just Niall” I replied slipping my phone into the back pocket of my jeans.

“You guys are getting along well aren’t you?” he asked, his face not betraying any emotion.

“Well yeah he’s a really nice guy and it’s amazing how we’ve become such fast friends.” It had been two weeks since I had met Niall on X Factor and already we’d become fast friends. Despite Simon giving him my phone number he hadn’t been too forward and gone ahead and texted me. Instead he had asked Jennel to ask me if it was okay for him to do so. How sweet was that? He actually asked permission to contact me before he did. Well things had progressed from there; after I had made it clear to him I had a boyfriend he’d replied only with

“I get it and I promise I’m not trying to intrude on you guys. Maybe we can just get to know each other and be friends.”

And ta-da! We were friends. Even though I had the slightest notion sometimes friends wasn’t exactly what he had in mind when I would catch him unexpectedly gazing at me with a soft look in his eyes. I also would be lying if I said I hadn’t felt myself drawn to him also in that way. But be as it may, I was in a happy enough relationship and he knew it.

“Are you sure?” Joe had a somewhat look of annoyance on his face.

We were at dinner at Lino’s, an Italian place off Strep Boulevard celebrating our seventh month anniversary.

It’s December already, I thought. Wow that went fast. The tour was over. X Factor was over. Everything seemed to just have breezed on by.

“What do you mean?” I asked, snapping back to the conversation at hand.

“I don’t know, everyone knows the guy has the biggest crush on you.” Joe shrugged. “Even if you say you guys are just friends, I’m sure given the slightest chance he’ll make his move.”

“Joe stop being so paranoid. Even if he was like that, I’m not.” I reassured him.

“You could just stop hanging out and texting him so much.” He put bluntly.

“Look he’s a nice guy I like being friends with him. Don’t worry about anything he’s my friend and you are my boyfriend. I would never get that confused okay?” Joe wasn’t usually the jealous type but I guess the talk had sort of gotten to him. It was already all over the internet how Niall and I had finally met and were in contact with each other. Of course the media took it upon themselves to twist the truth around and made it sound like we were secretly dating each other.

“Yeah okay I just don’t like all the talk.” Joe sighed.

“You can trust me okay?” I said, trying to coax a smile out of him.

“I know” he smiled.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

“Isn’t that Jack Nicholson?” Niall asked, pointing across the court where a familiar bald headed man stood yelling at the players who were running back and forth of him.

“Yep” I replied, laughing.

“What’s he doing? He’s acting like he’s the coach!” Niall said, laughing.

“Jack there is an honorary Lakers fan” I replied, “He hasn’t missed a game in as long as anyone can remember. He’s pretty much one of the team. He’s famous for his courtside antics.”