Chapter 32: Two Girls, One Guy

NICK'S POV:

"Dont be worried" i couldn't help telling Emma, as i watched her getting ready to head out to meet Demi.

She hadn't said much since we'd told her collectively as a family what we wanted her to do. We also made sure to tell her that Demi also had wanted this. I think knowing Demi wanted to bring closure to what had kept our family so apart had reassured her somehow.

"I'll be fine Nick" she replied, checking herself in the mirror a last time before grabbing her handbag. "I agree with what your dad said, this is a good idea. Maybe this is what she and I both need." Emma was always so cool. Her lack of emotion sometimes was worrying. But she had a good head on her shoulders. That was good. 

Her face didnt betray anything though, it was straight. it had been straight the whole week leading up to this day. 

"I gotta go now babe she's probably waiting. See you in an hour or so." She said, leaning over to quickly kiss me on the cheek before taking off. 

I was more on edge than she was.

DEMI'S POV:

"So i heard it was your idea'' Emma's tone seemd a little stiff, almost like she was badgering me.

My shock at her bluntness didnt stop her. 

"Nick told me you wanted to put some of the hard yards behind all of us. I didn't realize until recently that you and Nick had gotten quite close. He never talked about it. No one told me about it." She suddenly went quiet. She look disappointed. Maybe because no one in the family had never clued her into it.

I felt like i had to say something.

"I - "

"How is it that you were able to come from dating Joe to Nick?" she suddenly interrupted, catching me way off guard. The look on her face was all so judging.

I must have been gaping like an idiot because she went on to say "You dated Joe for so much of your life and Nick was like your brother. How can you do that? Isnt that like betrayal?"

A large lump had formed in my throat. But i guess i was expecting this.  She was always going to be on the attack.

"It wasn't a one way street you know...." i managed to choke out. 

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused. 

"They didnt tell you that either did they?" i replied. 

"All i got was that you dated Joe, and then made a move onto Nick and he was just caught up in it while you stringed him along. But you kept Joe on a leash as well."

It was a good thing we were at the park, because i was free to throw my head back at that moment and let out a loud roar of laughter.

"I don't see how this is funny Demi" Emma seemed annoyed. To be frank, she looked like she had had something lodged up her ass since she'd arrived to meet me. 

"I didn't lure him in at all. He came to me. Of his freewill."

"You're lying." she retorted.

"Nope" I shook my head. "To be honest Emma, Joe was never the best boyfriend.

"I can believe that" she murmured. "Sometimes I dont even know how Nick is even related to him. He's such a douchebag." We had levelled out somehow. I could feel it. 

"Yeah well he cheated on me. A few times too. And well Nick was always there for me. If theres anyone to blame for what happened its Joe. He pushed me towards Nick. And well I didnt know Nick had always harboured feelings for me. It took one crack from me and things just came to be."