Chapter 2

Walking down the steps to the kitchen I have no idea what is waiting for me. The living room floor is littered with broken picture frames. The kitchen has empty beer cans and broken bottles all over and there is mud on the ground. When I say I went to bed with this place spotless, I'm not exaggerating.

"Morning dear," Dad greets from the kitchen. He is standing next to the coffee maker, pouring himself a mug.

"Hi Dad," I reply quietly. I grab a garbage bag and begin the task of cleaning all of this shit up. Dad opens up a large file on the counter and begins to carefully look it over.

"I have shit to do for the family," he says as he brings his mug to the sink, "I'll be home late."

"Have a good day," I reply, tying off the bag.

"Come here," he orders from the front door. I comply and stand before him. A sickening grin spreads over his face as he examines the unconcealable bruise on my neck.

"Did you learn your lesson this time?" He asks the same question he asks every time.

"Yes," I reply simply, the same answer he always receives.

"Good. I want this place clean when I get back," he says with finality before leaving the house. I let out a sigh of relief at the loss of his presence.

I quickly finish cleaning his mess and take a shower. My brother, Marco, finally emerges from his room as I walk down the hall.

"You okay?" He calls out after me.

"Nothing worse than the usual," I reply, opening the door to enter my room. I quickly get dressed, throw on some makeup and tie my hair into a ponytail. I double check myself in the mirror to ensure I've covered as much of the bruises as I can before I slip on my shoes, grab my bag and keys, and leave for the day.

My father makes a point to ensure that from the outside we look like the perfect mob family. He's a Capo for the DiSilva family. I'm not entirely sure what that job entails but I often have to wash blood out of his clothes and there are more guns in his office than I can count. Marco is simply a soldier for the family, he runs product and makes deals with locals. I work at one of their cover bars.

As a high ranking member of the family, there are stipulations to my brother and father's behavior. They are expected to be respectable and powerful men. And I am expected to be beautiful and timid. My father has kept me away from the family as much as he could, ensuring most people have no idea who I really am. So I work at the shitty bar and keep my head down. No one knows the wiser.

My shiny black Audi comes to life and I drive through the city. The bar I work at is a dive over by the dock. It's very common for the foot soldiers to stop by after shipments. I park in the back lot and go through the front doors.

Besides the late night visits from foot soldiers, we have our collections of regulars. Most of them are retired from the family but others are just older men from around this area.

"Morning Joe," I greet one of our regulars who has already planted himself at his usual seat.

"How you doing Vic?" He asks as he slides his credit card across the bar. I grab it and open his tab before answering.

"I'm doing good," I hand him back his card, "what's got you here so early?"

"Get me a drink first," he replies, nodding towards the shelves of liquor behind me. I grab the whiskey he always drinks and pour him a glass.

"Thanks kid," he says with a small smile as I pass it over to him. He takes a long swig before answering my previous question, "one of my former soldiers was killed last night."

"Shit, I'm sorry Joe," I reply with a sympathetic smile.

He finishes his drink, "it's the life. We all know what we're signing up for."

Not all of us, I think to myself

"Woah what happened to your neck?" he asks suddenly. My hand involuntarily reaches for the bruise.

"Rowdy customer," I shrug. I turn away from him, utterly frazzled, and begin to get things squared away. Not many people notice the bruises and when they do they almost never say anything about it.

My shift goes by like any other and soon it's time for me to go home. One of the benefits of working at this bar is the guards to stand watch at each exit. Every night one of them will walk me to my car and ensure I pull out of the lot safely.