Chapter 14

I wake up only to find myself wrapped in strong arms. Luca is fast asleep and holding me to his chest like a child holds a teddy bear. I try to move as little as possible to avoid waking him while still trying to get out of his grasp.

Lord knows which version of Luca I'm going to get today.

"Where are you going?" his gravelly morning voice asks. I look up at his face and he hasn't even opened his eyes.

"I'm hungry," I tell him. He tightens his hold before he looks at me.

He sleepily smiles, "good morning angelo."

"Good morning Luca," I reply, "now can you please let go of me?"

"I suppose," he sighs before releasing me.

I wasn't lying when I told him I'm hungry. But that also wasn't the main reason I wanted him to let go. I still don't know what he's trying to accomplish here with me. And lying together in bed feels far too comfortable.

I head right to the bathroom and turn on the shower. As the bathroom fills with steam, I go over to the closet where Maria helped me hang everything yesterday evening.

I grab the light pink dress that she requested I wear and some underwear before returning to the bathroom. I use all of his fancy shower supplies and take the time to shave. I wrap myself in the soft towel and put on some moisturizer before getting dressed. I do my hair and apply some of the makeup Maria gave me.

I return to the room and Luca is in the exact same spot I left him in. He lifts onto his elbows when he hears me re-enter.

Just like the first time I met him, his intense stare makes me feel naked. I walk past the bed and back into the closet where I put my dirty clothes into the hamper.

"I was thinking about pancakes for breakfast," he muses as he appears next to me.

"Sounds good," I reply, stepping past him. But he gently grabs my forearm and stops me.

"What's wrong?" he asks as his eyes frantically scan my face.

"Nothing," I shake my head.

Honestly, he kind of scares me right now. The way he behaved yesterday, both in public and behind closed doors, showed me exactly why people are afraid of him.

I understand him to an extent. His home was attacked. That in and of itself is stressful. But to also be planning a war from a different country, he has to be going crazy.

He's like most mafia men, he likes control. And he can't quite control what the Russians are going to do.

But his ability to show stoic rage is terrifying.

"Is this about yesterday?" he asks. I only nod in response.

He sighs deeply before letting go of my arm, "I'm sorry you had to see me like that. I hope I wasn't too harsh with you. I received a lot of bad news yesterday."

"What happened?" I push. He pauses and seems to be considering his words carefully.

"There was a rat that I now have to take care of," he says, "and nearly $70 million was stolen"

"Holy shit," I breathe out. That's a lot of money.

"Don't worry over my business dealings," he tells me, "it doesn't matter. I will still keep you safe."

"I think I can worry when I almost got blown up and was then taken to a foreign country," I cross my arms.

"We both know that you've been to Italy before," he chuckles.