Chapter 15

TW: violence

"Woah," I breathe out as the SUV stops in front of the church.

It is beautiful and almost rustic from the outside. The entire day is beautiful. The sun is warm with not a cloud in the sky. There is a slight breeze to ease the Italian summer heat.

"My family has been christened here for generations," Luca says as he too looks out the window.

It truly is everything one would expect from a remote church in Italy. The building face is made of stones that have been exposed to the harsh Italian sun. Each column is carved with intricate patterns. The door is made of an oxidized copper that somehow still looks charming.

"Are you okay?" Luca turns to me and asks.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask him.

Hm, let's think. I'm accompanying the Don of the Italian mafia to a very intimate family gathering at a church. Yeah, no reason to be freaked out.

Luca just smiles at me and gets out of the car. He offers me his hand and helps me out as well. With his hand on my lower back, Luca leads me to the stairs in front of the church.

Enzo and Maria follow suit and come to stand next to us. Maria looks absolutely beautiful. Her hair is pinned in an intricate braid and she wears a pastel blue dress. Enzo, much like Luca and Gio and pretty much all mafia men, is wearing a simple black suit with a white shirt.

"Where's Elle?" I ask Maria.

She rolls her eyes before pointing at one of the cars, "Antonio."

I turn to look and sure enough Antonio is carrying a babbling Elle, tossing her in the air every so often. Her christening gown is amazing; long ivory silk with delicate beading and the DiSilva family crest stitched on.

"If he gets that dress dirty I'm going to kill him," Enzo glares at him as he approaches.

"You should be more concerned with him dropping our child," Maria points out.

"Where's Rosa?" Antonio asks once he's in front of us.

"She should be here soon," Maria replies.

"I miei ragazzi!" a priest exclaims from the sidewalk at the bottom of the stairs.
(My boys)

Antonio and Luca both crack wide smiles. Antonio hands Elle to Enzo before he rushes down the steps. The priest and Antonio hug tightly, like old friends.

"I'll be right back," Luca leans down to say in my ear.

He follows behind Antonio to greet the priest as well. Enzo gives Maria a sheepish smile.

"Go on," she instructs as she waves her hand in a shooing manner.

With a smile Enzo hands his daughter to Maria and kisses her on the cheek. He turns and heads towards the sidewalk as well.

"She's still teething," Maria groans as she looks down at the baby drool that is threatening to drip on her dress.

"Here," I offer, holding out my hands. I bounce Elle on my hip as Maria examines her dress for any impurities.

"Can I ask you a question?" I say to Maria. This might be my only chance.

"Of course," she responds.

"Do you know why Luca is keeping me around?" I ask, although I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

"He cares about you," she smiles, "he is a very different person when you're around. A better person."