Chapter 19

To say I'm disappointed waking up to an empty bed is an understatement. And I can't really explain why. I sit up fully and rub my eyes.

My room is full of shopping bags. The entire floor is covered in addition to piles of boxes on top of both the desk and the dresser. There's honestly enough here to clothe an entire sorority for a month.

I climb out of bed and start to look through the bags. As I thought, they're filled with expensive clothes that are all exactly my size. Dresses, skirts, jeans, shirts, shoes, lingerie, everything I could possibly wear is here. Each piece is more amazing than the last.

How the fuck does he do shit like this?

A light knock on my door is followed by Luca sticking his head in.

"You're awake," he smiles as he steps fully into the room.

"What is all of this?" I ask him, still kneeling and surrounded by bags.

"Clothes," he laughs, "why do you not like them? I can have it all replaced, nessun problema."
(No issue)

"No it's all very nice," I reply, shaking my head, "thank you."

"Then what's wrong?" He asks, joining me on the ground.

"It's too much," I tell him. Because it is. I can't even fathom how much this all cost.

"This is solo una stella nel cielo notturno compared to all you will have," he chuckles.
(Just one star in the night sky)

"What do you get out of this?" I ask him straightforward. I'm fucking tired of the guessing game.

"I want you to be safe and happy," he says simply, "I've told you this before."

"So what? I just live here and do nothing?" I question him.

"You can do whatever you'd like. There are many things around the compound to entertain yourself with," he replies, "but until it is safe you will be guarded and you will not leave the compound without me."

"I want a gun," I tell him, crossing my arms over my chest.

His eyes widen and his mouth is open like he's about to say something, but nothing comes out.

"You want a gun?" He hesitantly asks, confirming he heard me right.

"Yes," I say simply.

Even with the little bit of information I have, I know this war is going to be bad. I'm a great shot, I should have a gun. If not to defend others then at least to defend myself.

"I will arrange for you to train in the shooting range," he nods.

"And my own gun?" I push him, raising my eyebrows.

"We will see," he says slowly.

Better than an outright 'no' so I'll take it.

"Can I go today?" I ask him.

Luca sighs and runs a hand down his face. He shakes his head before chuckling and looks back at me.

"After breakfast," he tells me.

I smile widely at this. Not only will I get to do something I love and am good at, but this truly shows just how much Luca trusts me.

He trusts that I won't hurt him, and thinking about it, I trust that he won't hurt me.

"Where are the workout clothes?" I ask gesturing to all of the bags.

Luca reaches over and grabs a few bags before handing them to me. He stands and offers me his hand to help me up. I take his hand and move past him to the bathroom.

"I will see you in the dining room angelo," Luca says with a smile before he leaves my room.

I shower quickly and toss my hair into a ponytail. I pull out a black workout outfit from one of the bags and change. I lace up a pair of new sneakers and double check myself in the mirror.

The bruises are mostly faded, except for my neck. I barely recognize myself. I don't remember the last time I looked in the mirror and didn't have a fresh purple mark. It's a nice change that puts a smile on my face.

Outside my door is Vinny. I smile up at him, glad to know that he's okay. He hadn't joined us in Italy and his well-being had slipped my mind.

"Good morning," I say to him, walking past.

"Miss Victoria," he calls out and I can hear him scurrying to catch up with me.

"What's wrong?" I ask once he reaches my side, ignoring the fact that he called me 'miss.'

"You're not supposed to be alone," he says sternly.

"I know," I tell him.

"Where are you going?" He asks, stepping in front of me to block my path.

I glare up at him with my arms folded, "to get some breakfast. Is that okay with you Mr. Prison Warden?"

"I'm just following orders," he tells me, "non fare la stronza con me."
(Don't get bitchy with me)

"Vaffanculo e vai a farti fottere," I scoff, "I may have to be accompanied but I can go wherever the fuck I want."
(Go fuck yourself)

I side step him and continue on my journey. I still have no fucking idea where I'm going but fuck Vinny for being an asshole. His orders are to keep my safe not insult me.

Vinny grabs my forearm, harshly, to stop me. I turn to face him with my mouth open in shock.

The fucking audacity.

"Let go of me," I demand.

"You can't just do whatever the hell you want," he tells me as he tightens his hold, "I'm guarding you which means you listen to me."

With my free hand, I punch him in the nose. He releases me to cup his face and stop the blood. I kick him in the balls and he drops to the ground.

Much like when I hit Antonio, I head towards the smell of cooking.  Only this time, I'm not being chased down.

There are way more men in the dining room than the last time I was here. Everyone is eating and talking in a jumble of the two languages.

Luca is seated at the head of his table like usual. He scans over the faces in the room and when he lands on me he smiles. I maneuver my way around the soldiers to take the seat to his left.

"I like this outfit," he compliments as he looks me up and down.

"I do too," I smile at him, "thank you."

I reach over and grab the orange juice before pouring myself a glass. As I put the container back on the table, Luca gently grabs my wrist. He lifts my arm to look at it closely and I notice Vinny left finger shaped marks.

"Who did this?" he asks, still looking at the mark.

"It's fine," I tell him as I pull my arm back, "I took care of it."

"We are talking about this later," he warns me. I just roll my eyes and focus on breakfast.

"I heard you're going to be shooting today," Gio pipes up.

"Wait really?" Antonio asks, his attention shifting from his food.

"She will do baseline with the new recruits," Luca informs them while looking at me.

"That's my shit!" Antonio exclaims with a grin.

"Good luck," Gio laughs.

"Why would I need luck?" I ask him, desperately holding back a smile.

You don't need luck when you have talent.