Chapter Twenty-Five: Healing

Opening your eyes made things slightly blurred all around you.

"She's waking up!" A male voice spoke.

You groaned as your vision cleared. Beside you was Ej, gently grasping your hand.

Ben ran out of the room, leaving you and Ej alone.

"Hey, Y/N, how are you feeling?"

"Like crap, if I'm being honest. My head is killing me," you replied softly.

"Ben went to go get Slender. He should be here shortly," Ej replied, running his thumb gently over your knuckles.

You looked to the masked boy and stared into his non-existent eyes, a sweet smile on your face.

"Thank you for staying by my side, Ej. I really appreciate you," you said softly, your grin never ceasing.

With Ej's mask on, you couldn't read his facial expression as he started his reply, "Of course, Y/N, I-"

He stopped talking momentarily and froze as you raised your other hand to his mask, your fingers dancing along the edge of it.

You had never once since him without that mask.

Just once, you wanted a glimpse of who he was underneath...

Slowly you began to lift his mask, and he made no move to stop you, though you took notice of the more firmer hold he now had on your hand.

As you lifted the mask off your face, you continued to smile, the smile never ceasing to exist on your pale face.

He looked just as you imagined him to look. He looked pretty much normal, despite being eyeless and his gray skin.

Just a semi-normal, brown haired male.
But being normal didn't matter. You loved this boy so much. He had been by your side for weeks, maybe even months now. And within that time frame you two had grown close.

And you had fallen for him.
Fallen hard.

Your hand rested on the side of his face, your thumb brushing his cheek.

He leaned into your hand, closing his "eyes" and smiling sweetly, resting his hand on top of yours, his other thumb brushing your knuckles again.

Silently, you drew the courage forward to say, "Ej, I think I've-"

The door opened and there stood Slender and Ben.

Awkward silence filled the room.

"Did we interrupt something?" Slender calmly asked, hands clasped behind his back.

"No," you two replied in unison, Ej moving away from you.

Your heart ached as his warmth disappeared from your hands.

"I've brought pain-killers and water," Slender said, holding the two things up in his tentacles.

"Thank you so much, Slender. For everything you have done for me. I really appreciate it," you thanked him genuinely, smiling. You thanked Ben as well and promised to thank everyone else as well. At least, as soon as you were feeling better.

"I believe Ej has volunteered to continue caring for you until you're better. Then I will start training you again on combat skills and a few other things. Do you understand, child?"

"Yes, sir. Thank you."

Slender bowed his head in reply.

"Let us go, Benjamin."

Ben nodded, winked teasingly at you and Ej, then left with Slender, closing the door behind him.

You looked back at Ej when he cleared his throat.

You tried to draw back the courage you had brought forth just a few minutes ago.

"I've fallen for you too, Y/N," he replied, smiling.
He took your hands in his again and lifted them to his face, kissing your knuckles gently.

A light pink blush dusted your cheeks and you smiled shyly.

"But I have a question. Before we jump into a relationship, may I take you on a few dates and get to know you better? So I can figure out how to make this relationship work?"

Your heart melted. He was being so sweet and kind.
"Yes, of course."

You sat up and moved forward, kissing his cheek as a thank you.

Maybe things would start getting better after all.

_________________________________________

A/n: hey you guys!! I am so sorry for not posting for awhile!! Things have been crazy with school. I ended up getting covid last week and I have had no motivation for anything.
I'm sorry this chapter is so short! I think I might either be putting the book on hold soon or just ending it. I really do apologize for lack of romance in this story. I just hope the next chapter will be more worthwhile.
Please let me know what you guys think of the story so far and what I could do to help you enjoy it more. I would love feedback!
Thank you guys so much for staying with me this far and giving me so many votes and reads! I love all of you so much! Always do your best and keep pushing forward!! If things are hard now, they'll get better if you keep moving forward!! I promise!!
I love each and every one of you!! ❤
SassyBoi out!