Chapter Three: Strangers

Over the course of the next few days, I became more weary of my surroundings. The whispers seemed to follow me all over the place, and they hardly ceased to stop.

Instead of taking Ella on a walk in the evening, I took her after dark. Nobody would be in the park, which would be nice for Ella to be able to run around the large field without disturbing any children or adults, even if she knew better, she still loved the attention from anyone.

As we reached the park, I unhooked her leash and let her roam the ground. I found my way to a bench and sat down with a content sigh, listening to the creatures around me. The soft fall breeze was refreshing and brough clean, fresh air from the woods.

I inhaled deeply and then let out a slow exhale, enjoying the cool, crip air that filled my lungs.

Soft crunching from footsteps came my way. I ignored them and continued to enjoy the cool, fall night and the creatures singing in the distance.

The steps stopped in front of me, yet I didn't move my gaze up.

Ella seemed to notice the stranger who approached me and came hurdling over toward me, growling and barking. I tensed up as the person grew closer. I could feel the air between our legs grow warm, though we weren't touching. My legs tingled at the feeling of this stranger so close.

There was a loud snarl and a loud thud as Ella jumped onto the mysterious person.

A loud scream from Ella drowned out every other sound as my blank eyes widened. Something warm sprayed the top of my feet where my sandals didn't cover, my arms being caked in the sticky warmth.

Blood.

I could feel its warmth as it flowed underneath my sandals.

Ella had been killed.

My closest most trusted companion. Dead.

I opened my mouth to scream. Nothing but strangled, choked sounds came out of my throat.

"Grab her," A gruff voice demanded. So defiant, so demanding. You couldn't help but succumb to the deep and rough voice, barking out commands.

I stood and wriggled my way out of the hands that grabbed at me.

I was stopped dead in my tracks when I ran into someone, landing on the ground on my butt.

Strong hands gripped my forearms and I struggled as my legs were grabbed as well.

I was lifted up off the ground.

I thrashed my body around, panicking, though still unable to make any sort of sound.

"I'll clean up this mess," another male voice spoke, though it was lighter and a little gentler than the gruff male.

"I'll help since I'm the one who did it," the gruff voice responded. "Take her back to the mansion. Lock her up in the basement until Slender needs her."

"Tim, why aren't you doing this? Why do we have to take her?" A male teen grumbled, the grip on my ankles tightening while I continued to squirm.

"We have a mess to clean up, moron. I suggest you get her back to the manor before I beat your ass," the gruff male, now known as Tim, replied.

"Jeff, shut your joker ass up and help me carry her!" another male snarled, anger laced in his voice.

"Don't tell me what to do, Zelda!" the other teen, Jeff, snarled back.

"Get back to the mansion!" The man known as Tim hissed.

The two teens growled in response and began walking. I had given up on struggling and was hanging limply.

All color had drained from my face and I probably had a very terrified expression written on my features.

The two carrying me continued to bicker back and forth between each other before they were stopped by a softer voice.

"I'll take her back to the mansion. You two get your dumbasses back if it's such a problem," it said. This one seemed to be male as well.

"Good timing, Ej. I was getting tired of this stupid elf," the teen, Jeff, spat, letting go of my ankles, letting them slam onto the ground.

I winced in pain and let my body slump down, the other teen male dropping me onto the ground.

The two teens continued to bicker as they left.

"Let me help you up," the kinder male said, extending a hand, to which I couldn't see. I just sat on the ground, blank-faced, my already dull eyes darker. I looked at him, though I couldn't see him, and extended my hand out, letting my fingers find his.

They were slender and thin, his palm slightly smooth, though I could tell it was getting a bit calloused by the feeling of the skin.

"Blind, are you?" he questioned, his fingers wrapping around the back of my hand, his other hand finding my other and pulling me to my feet.

My legs were shaky and the ground rolled beneath me as I fell forward, stumbling into the male who had so kindly helped me up.

He caught me and pulled me to his chest, my face close to his. But it wasn't his face. The feeling of a mask brushed my cheek and my heart rate sped up even more.

What was going on.

The mask was lifted and soft lips brushed up against my ear as he spoke softly, only for me to hear.

"I might not have eyes myself, but I can still, miraculously, see. I can be your eyes if you'll agree to keep me company and be my friend. I'll keep you safe and you won't ever have to be alone ever again."

My jaw dropped slightly, tears brimming in my eyes. I didn't even know this person... I couldn't see this person... and yet.. This... this stranger was offering to help me if I helped him... how could I trust him..?

Sometimes life throws crazy things at you. And it might not be so bad to try going with something. If you end up dead, it might be better that way... I thought to myself.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded hesitantly.

"I think I can live with that," I replied thoughtfully and carefully as the male moved away from me, still holding my right hand. He clicked his tongue, and without a reply, led me into the unknown.

A/n: Art above not mine!