Chapter Four: The "Operator"

As if the world couldn't get weird enough, I found myself in a mansion full of murderers and monsters.

I clutched tightly to the boys hand who claimed to be Eyeless.

How could he see?

I stumbled over things as he pulled me up some stairs, then down a hallway, into a room.

He closed the door and I stood in what I assumed to be the middle of the room.

"Alright. First thing is first. My name is Eyeless Jack. Most people call me Ej. You can call me that or Jack. It doesn't matter to me. Anyway. We are currently in my room, and you'll be staying with me. I have another bed, so no worries about that. We can get you some more clothes later on, for now, you can borrow some from Jane. I'm sure she wouldn't mind lending you any. You're about her same size anyhow."

"May I ask a few questions...?" I asked softly, fiddling with my long sleeves.

"Ask away, (Y/N)."

"First of all... how do you know my name?"

"We all know. Every single one of us. Slender is the one who told us who you were."

I thought quietly for a moment.
"Why did you kidnap me...? And...-" I trailed off slightly, thinking about Ella. Tears welled in my unseeing eyes.

"We kidnapped you because Slender needs you. You're special. You'll meet him soon. And Tim killed your dog because she would have given us away. And there was no way she would get along with anyone here. It was for her own good and yours."

I took in a shakey breath, holding back my tears.
My small body trembled slightly and I hugged my arms close to myself.

"I know you're scared, but you'll get used to things. You may not realize it, but people back where you were staying were going after you. And we were protecting you from them. Those whispers you always heard were us, keeping watch outside your home for anyone who tried to get close to you. We aren't the bad guys here. You're one of us, whether you know it or like it or not. Things will become more clear when Slender explains everything to you. Trust me. And the good thing is, is that you'll be staying with me and I'll be helping to guide you around the house till you get used to doing it on your own."

The information was too much...
I sunk to my knees and curled up in a small ball, now finally breaking down into tears.

I could tell the boy didn't know what to do. He seemed as lost as I was.

I had lost my dog, my home... and now I was stuck with complete strangers... and murderers and monsters at that!
What had I done to deserve this?!

There was a knock at the door and then it was pushed open.

"Slender needs you in his office, Ej. You too, (Y/N)," the gruff man from earlier said.

I slowly pushed myself up, my legs very shakey again.

Ej gently grabbed my shoulders to help steady me and lead me out of his room, down a hall, and up another two flights of stairs.

This mansion was huge.

We stopped at the end of the hall.
Ej knocked on a door, and I stayed silently behind him.

"Come in," a deeper voice replied to the knock.

Ej opened the door and led me in.

"Take a seat, you two," the deep voice said, sounding serious and composed.

Ej helped me sit down then he sat beside me.

"(Y/N), nice to finally meet you. Though I see the past few years has not treated you well."

"If you're talking about the year I went blind and lost my parents then you would be correct," I shot back. "The rest of my years have been just wonderful, thank you. That is, until you had your goons kidnap me and kill my dog."

"We had our reasoning, and you'll understand soon enough," the man replied.

"Why does everyone keep telling me that?! I want to go back home and I want to be back with my dog! I've had my parents killed and then you go ahead and kill off my dog too!! Stupid bastards!" I cursed, kicking at the desk in front of me.

"Now, (Y/N), I know you're confused and upset. But everything will be fine. We can always bring your dog back. But, for now, we need to talk about the issues at hand."

"What issues?!" I snapped, tears finding their way down my cheeks.

"I'm sure Ej made you aware of the people who had tried killing you countless times, has he not?"

I sighed softly and hesitantly nodded.

"Good. You have a hidden talent. You might not be aware of it, but we are."

"What kind of talent are we talking about here?!"

"My child, you can shapeshift. Your families blood-line stretches for on for generations. But after your parents got in a car wreck, the blood-line ended, with you as the last of your family members to carry it on. Your parents have asked that we take it on ourselves to help you unlock your powers and join our family. You see, I was very close friends with your mother and father when you were young. They asked me years ago to take care of everything should anything happen to them. So here we are."

I was now silent.

What the hell was going to happen to me now?

A/N: Art above not mine!