Chapter One: Years Later

Being lost in a world of music was always the best thing.

Especially when it was my own.

I might be blind... but that doesn't mean I can't play violin well. I had been playing it years before I had been in the car wreck with my parents.

Now.... being seventeen and living on my own, I have more free time.
I have a small job doing concerts to earn enough money to buy necessities, food, keep up on my bills, and buy some small extra things I might need.

Being blind wasn't amazing. There were so many downsides and yet...it wasn't all that bad.

I wasn't able to see the beautiful world anymore, but I could still hear the world around me and feel it.

Being blind gave me the time to keep up with violin, even if I couldn't read notes anymore, I knew them well enough and was able to play music by ear, quick to memorize my notes.

It had been two years since I had been in that car crash.
And since then I had been living on my own, despite getting help from others who would drive me places and help me cook and clean, since I couldn't see.

I knew my way around well, by feeling and being around places easily.

My once bright (E/C) eyes had been dulled to a softer shade of a (E/C), an almost pale (E/C) grey.

After finishing up my piece of Ice Dance from Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands, my favorite show when I was younger, I put my violin away and made my way downstairs to the main floor of the house, greeted by my service dog Ella, who barked in delight at my appearance.

"Hi, baby!" I cooed, squatting down to allow her to lick my face.
I hugged her neck gently and left small kisses on her snout and head, accepting the small boops she gave my nose with her own.

"Wanna go to the park?" I asked happily.
I knew she had gotten excited by the way her body wiggled under my fingers.

I stood up straight and wandered over to the front door where her leash and harness were hung.

I slipped my shoes on first and a jacket before sliding Ella'a harness on and clipping her leash to it.

I grabbed the house keys hanging on the hooks and tucked them into my pocket, locking the door behind the two of us.

As she led me to the park, knowing her commands and knowing what to do, we went along safely.

Soon enough we made it and she guided me into a small clearing in the woods just beyond the park.

It was familiar to the both of us and had more room for me to throw a ball for her.
It also gave her time to explore, knowing she never wandered far. I had trust and faith placed in her, and she had the same for me. It took two to make a relationship work.

Little did I know, a figure was watching me from up in a tree, silent and focused on me.

As Ella came back to me, we headed home, the sun starting to go down. I could tell because the warmth from the sun was receding, and I could feel the cool shade brushing up my skin.

She led me back home and I unlocked the door, walking inside and closing the door and locking it behind me.

I took off Ella's harness and my jacket, hanging them up with Ella's leash.

I plopped on the couch and she trotted over, laying her head in my lap.

As a figure drew close to my door, Ella began to bark, jumping at the window in the middle of the door.

"Ella, down!" I commanded.
She shrunk back and came over to sit by my feet.

The door was unlocked was opened.

"Good evening, (Y/N)!" Cammi's ever so cheerful voice rang through the air.

"Hello, Cammi, long time no see!" I joked, earning a chuckle from my caretaker.
I only wished I could see her face. I bet she was beautiful, being as kind as she was.

"What do you want to eat for dinner?" She asked happily, sitting beside me on the couch.

"How about spaghetti?"

"Perfect!! I'll get right to it. Has everything else been going okay for you?"

"Everything is going fine," I replied hastily.

"Good, good!! So glad to hear!!"

I smiled as she headed into the kitchen.

Little did I know, I was still being watched.