XXXV

XXXV

My world froze like days during winter. I could not feel my heart anymore, it might lose its control by this time and already left my ribs. I felt my knees weakened, but Prince Alexander held me immediately so my arse would not meet the ground.

He just proposed to me, right? Or, I just misheard him? I wanted to go in marriage, however, not a lightning fast. We barely knew each other. I did not know what his favourite color or who is his favourite actor. I loved him, but I need time to synchronize myself and be his wife.

He was not just an ordinary person. He was a prince of a powerful land. Being his wife was not a joke. On the other hand, I was not simply a commoner. I had a family depending on me, and having a marriage right this moment was my least priority.

"Pardon," the first word came out from my mouth after an eternity.

He suddenly got down on one knee. He took out a box from his pocket, and opened it in front of me. A necklace laid inside, shone like stars in the night. Its pendant was a ring, which the exterior was filled with small diamonds. I covered my mouth, not only for the reason that I was surprised, but also for the shock I was suffering. It worth thousands of Pounds, I was certain with that.

"Shirley Woodman, you are worthy of every piece of diamond in the world," he held my hand, and kissed the back of my palm, "For letting me enter your life, and giving me the love I don't deserve. I was nothing before you came. If only I know that you're breathing in Chicago, I might not have done those things. If only I could change the past, I might not go in every bed of different women, instead, I would prepare myself for you."

I took a deep breathe. It was hard for me to absorb his each statement. I could feel how sincere he was, but deep inside, something was pulling me.

"Shirley Woodman, my beloved, will you marry me?" now, he did not order, he asked.

I removed my hand on his grasp. My feet automatically moved two steps backward. I looked at his face, I admired him first before I recognized the melancholy in his eyes. I loved him that I wanted to touch him and answered 'yes' instantly.

"Your Highness, marrying you is the dream I always have every night. You can have more beautiful and richer woman, but you still select me," I turned my back to him and embraced myself, "I can't answer you this time. I don't want to make this relationship this fast. We have all the time on this earth and I have a family I need to support."

Tears suddenly showed in my face again. How many times did I cry only for this night? How much tears I would spend before this night ended?

"I want my family to have a better house, a better life. I want Elena to be free from her heart disease. Hana and Chance need to have a better education. My parents should be resting and enjoying the rest of their lives," I closed my eyes, thinking my family. I really missed them.

I felt Prince Alexander's presence behind me. Before I could talk again, he hugged me on the back. He hushed and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't consider your family. I'm sorry."

"Of course, you did not. You grew up with so much wealth, no worries on meal you'll eat every time you'll feel hungry," I faced him, his arms still rested around me,  "I'm saying this because I don't want to be dependent on you. I want to establish first my own, before I'll marry you. Your Highness, being your wife is a pressure," I did not know when I decided to say it, "especially for a nobody like me."

He held my cheek. "You're not nobody Shirley. If my proposal is a pressure to you, I won't force you to answer." He kissed my tears away, "I can wait, but not that long," he murmured, "If we get married, you'll be a princess. Your family will be given a house nearby. Also, your sisters and brother will be given an education in good schools."