LVII

LVII

The week after my conversation with Isaac Warden had been the hardest days in three years. My conscience was playing its role to remind me that it was all my fault and I could not sleep at night properly because, again, it was all my fault.

My brain was not yet able to absorb what Prince Alexander did for my father about the accident and me. However, my heart was the complete opposite. It had already accepted those things even before Isaac explained it to me.

I did not know what I should do now. I wanted to clarify everything, but I did not want to see him because of guilt and brokenness. Probably, Isaac was saying the truth, but images of how upset the prince was when he learned about my betrayal by giving his father the contract and, how he had kissed Emily were still roaming in my mind.

Moreover, I was scared that they were only playing to trap me so that Prince Alexander would do his revenge, especially now that he started his country visit in the USA and charity programs in different cities. It was more terrifying if he already knew about my children, and he did this to get our children away from me.

I shivered at the thought. Lola noticed my silence. We were both in the kitchen, drinking coffee while feeding Jared and Cassandra their baby food. We woke up very early because this was the first day of our very big client: Isaac Warden. There were buildings of papers waiting in the office. It also included our anniversary this coming week.

"Shirley," based on her expression, Lola could not contain the questions in her head, "You have something to tell me, right?"

My gaze stayed on Jared and never looked up. I had not yet told Lola about my interaction with Prince Alexander's best friend because I could not find the right timing. Maybe, I should tell her this time.

A pair of green eyes captured mine before I could speak. My baby boy was a complete resemblance of his father. The chances were so high that the prince would recognize immediately Jared as his son once they meet.

Brushing Jared's hair, I asked Lola, "What if I cross fate with His Highness again?"

She almost spilled the coffee out of her mouth and gave me disbelieving looks. This was my first time I spoke about him again after three years. Her eyebrows met, "Is this have something to do with your meeting with that Warden man?"

I nodded and without a second thought, I told her all the details of my talk with Isaac. I knew Lola wanted to say her thoughts, but she kept her coolness at bay and listened to me. My voice cracked when I spoke about the accidents and related – I could still not believe that the queen would do that.

"Talk to Prince Alexander when you meet him," Lola said directly after I asked her if I was going to believe Isaac Warden.

I finally looked at her and whispered, "Is that alright?"

"Of course," she said in the matter-of-fact, "If you love him and he really loves you, no need to avoid each other forever. Three years are enough, Shirley, to hide your true feelings. Both of you need to sit down and talk about all your foolishness." She walked to me, leaving Cassandra behind, and then grasped my shoulders, "The only way you can free yourself from this nightmare is to claim that prince again."

The thorns on my heart that lived there for a long time instantly vanished as well as the hollow in my chest. Maybe, Lola was right. Even though I had a new life with my twins, I was still living with misery for the reason I missed him so much. For the reason I loved him so much. For the reason the harder I tried to forget, the deeper I fell in love with him.