LIX

LIX

Someone was playing the piano when I woke up. The sun was already set and darkness covered not only the sky, but also the entire penthouse. I could see the living room from the bedroom because the door was open. There was a minimal light on the location of the piano.

I sat up and covered my face when I remembered all we had done all day. This was the effect of not seeing him for three years. He changed from prince to Hulk. He almost destroyed the bed on his every move. He did not stop until he drained me fully. I had no doubt he was still burning with stamina.

I looked for my dress, only to find his shirt on the carpeted floor of the room. I wore it immediately and went out to see him. We had a long discussion coming.

He was playing a familiar tune in the piano when our eyes met. A smile crept on his face as he moved a little down his head, gesturing me to come to him.

My eyes wandered over his bared body once I was already beside him. I bit my lower lip to stop myself from drooling. His fingers moved like a professional pianist and blush invaded my cheeks when I thought how those experienced fingers touched my skin.

He stared at me intently while he sang the song he was playing on the piano. It seemed like a dream to listen again to His Highness' version of 'I Won't Give Up'. He sang this song for me when he proposed in Bel Canto three years ago.

A lot of things happened after that night. I discovered every piece of his dark past as I realized how deep I fell in love with him every day. I tried not to give up. I tried to stay beside him no matter what. I tried to be his sky in his dark world.

However, I was the first one who gave up on him. On us. If only I had spoken to him that night, maybe, we were living happily right now with our twins. Probably, we had more children.

I sobbed and hugged his side tightly. He stopped singing and hitting the keys on the instrument. He put his hand on my back while the other on my arm to support me. He literally let me cried on his shoulder. He might be confused, but I kept these tears for years. I tortured myself in deciding to live away from him and acted too strong for my children. But, I ended up falling in his arms again.

"Why?" I wept and broke the embrace to look at him directly, "Why did you kiss... Princess Emily that day?"

My interrogation caught him off guard and he looked down. He swallowed and moved his hand on his chin. Prince Alexander met my gazes again and answered huskily, "I was tempted."

That surprised me. It was my unexpected response from him. "Tempted?"

He nodded and sighed, "I'm really sorry."

"Why did you not think about me when she was tempting you?" I asked while brushing the tears on my cheeks. Anger crawled on my nerves as my blood went to my head. "Is that what I am you? A spare tire if ever she returns to her husband."

"Shirley," his voice was too low and calming, "When she kissed me, I realized that I don't need anyone besides you. I regret what I'd done and I hope you forgive me."

I bowed my head and played my hands on my lap. I did not retort because I wanted to weigh all the facts. In my heart, Prince Alexander was always right. But, the questions roamed in my mind were the otherwise.

What if this was only his alibi. What if there was a trap behind his words. What if he no longer loved me. What if he did it again. What if I was the only believing we were still meant to be.

"It's been three years, Shirley, since you left me alone in that cold palace," the sadness on his voice wanting me to hug him again, but I sat still, "I did not go in public for months because all I want is to stay in your room and wishing you would come back. But you only left a letter that was like a death of me."