XXI

XXI

Good morning Shi. Meet me in the London’s eye 2day @ lunch. Paulo :)

Paulo became my boyfriend when I was in first Year College. He was a sweet boy who had every feature a girl wanted for her ideal man. I met him during a party in one of our mutual friends. We had started to get along since then, until he asked me to be his girlfriend, and I did not realize up to that time that my feelings for him developed.

Comparing to my first boyfriend, my affection for him was deeper and I knew it was already love. He was my best friend and boyfriend at the same time. He cared for me, as I cared for him. I forgot the world when I was with him. However, there was no happy ending between us. I broke up with him after his cold treatment to me when I rejected him for his desire to take my innocence.

In the back of my mind, there was a small voice shouting a remorse and I wanted to take back my rejection. But if he really loved me, he could wait for our wedding night. I was depressed for months after we broke up, and lastly, moved on when I saw him, one morning in the locker area, making out with a dark-headed girl.

That was the only time I finally accepted that we were done.

Prince Alexander and I came back to the palace just a few moments after I received the message. We were fetched by one of his bodyguards, Artemis, because His Majesty needed to attend the meeting called by the Queen this morning.

Time passed very fast that I did not notice we were together for about three hours. And I was late for my work. This was his fault!

We were quiet in our ride way back only until Prince Alexander broke it.

“Who texted you?” he asked as if he were aware of what running inside my head. I saw the gate of the palace outside the car.

“L-lola,” I stuttered, “My best friend, she just greeted me good morning.” I smiled to make him believe that I was telling the truth. He just nodded. I exhaled immediately the air I was holding since he asked the question.

The silence continued. Even though we were with Prince Alexander, the guards checked our car for security reasons. We spent the next few minutes there. Artemis drove again and we stopped at the main door. I instantly climbed out without waiting for anyone to open my door.

I did not glance to the prince anymore as I entered the palace.

I stopped when I heard him said, “See you later.”

I looked over my shoulder to see him gloriously standing in the door and nodded.

-----

When lunchtime arrived, I still could not decide if I would meet Paulo in the London’s eye. What if he was not there? Was I already prepared to face him after not seeing each other for years? I was afraid of something; I had no idea what it was. However, I was afraid to look at him again.

I replied to his text earlier: Hey, Pau, kinda busy right now. Let’s meet next time. You’re in?

Less than a minute, there was a response from him: 30 mins pls? I just want to b w/ sum1 I know in dis strange country :) I miss u Shi.

I suddenly missed home. He was right. In this foreign country, you should have someone you knew in your own country to ease the homesick problem. Paulo had been one of my good friends, what was wrong to meet him now, by the way? I missed him, too. I just did not know if I missed him as a friend or I missed him as a lover.

I texted back: Okay, let’s meet in a few.

A cab brought me to the place where the London’s eye located. It was the biggest Ferris wheel I had ever seen. Possibly, three times huger than the normal. It was white and composed of many cars. When I was still in Chicago, I dreamed to ride there to see the entire London. This was a dream came true to be here right now.