LIII

LIII

January

-----

February

-----

I thought I could live away from him. I thought I was strong enough to have another life without him. I thought memories were adequate for me. However, I was not right. It seemed like I was having a nightmare for the past two months since I left the palace.

I never went out of the room and just stayed on my bed like an insane person staring at the blank space. Should I consider myself crazy? Probably, yes, because I wanted to run to England and hug him. I missed him so much that it exploded my heart every second passed by.

Atlanta was a nice place because of low temperature despite of the start of summer. The air was fresh because of the green surroundings in the city. But, I could not appreciate it.

When I had returned last December, I did not have extra money to continue to pay for that house my family had lived for a while or at least rent a small apartment like we had before. I was grateful that Lola was a real best friend to me. She helped my family and me to have a roof and other necessities.

She brought us to Atlanta where she was living with her boyfriend, Cricket. He had a small mansion near the farm, which he received as a birthday present from his parents. The little mansion had masters and four bedrooms. At first, I wanted to reject Lola's offer living with them, but Cricket and her both insisted. He was a good guy. Now, I knew why Lola chose him over her ex-boyfriend.

I promised them that I would work once I got myself again. But, they both said that I should take my time. At the present, they all knew, including my family, about the happenings when I was still in England. I told them last month, and my mom apologized to me for what she had told me on our phone call when I was still in England.

The sun was already on its highest position when Lola visited me to my room. She always was checking me, especially on weekends when she had her day off. My little sisters, Elena and Hana, stayed in my room on their free time. Sometimes, they were with Chance. My parents went here occasionally. My dad had started his small business in the market with mom after permitted by his doctor to work again. They got a good place because of the help of Cricket's father. He was the mayor of Atlanta.

Lola put down the tray of lunch in front of me and sat on the edge of my bed. She crossed her arms on her chest and said, "Eat first. I think we have a long talk today."

Usually, pasta would make my mouth watered, but not now. I wanted to throw up once its smell entered my nose. I did not feel well when I woke up this morning. Actually, it happened daily this month. It might be because of the weather.

I pushed the tray away from me and covered my nose with my hand. "I can't eat," I uttered and stood immediately. Holding my stomach, I went to the rest room inside my room and kneeled beside the toilet bowl. I puked all I ate last night. The world spun.

"Shirley, are you alright?" I heard Lola behind me while tapping my back. "Ugh, that's the effect of staying in your room twenty-four seven. You should live a life," she said in irritation.

My best friend was annoyed not because of my disgustingly vomiting, but because I was stubborn. I was not the Shirley she knew long time ago. Even me, I could not recognize myself anymore.