Gaze

"Wake up!"

"Wake up, Linda. It's today."

I hear the hushed tone of Abriana.

I fly open my eyes with a quick reflex, my eyes immediately hitting the surface of the ceiling. I felt drowsy to say the least, my eyes feeling glossy. I wasn't use to getting up early especially in a situation where you were getting away from reality only to be awoken back into actuality.

My face was swollen, under my eyes puffy. I feel the immediate pain in my waist, cramps forming around my abdomen.

I take my puffy eyes to meet with Abriana's. Her long hair fell down on her back. She was looking natural today without any makeup which suited her.

"Morning," I muttered brushing my hair off my face. I hope my breath wasn't awful because I didn't brush last night.

"Morning to you too. Do you still feel pain?" She asks referring to my bruise. I quickly stand up to my feet, pushing away my gown to check the spot.

"Just a little." I groused closing the area with my gown down. I hated sleeping in ill-fitting clothes which includes this gown.

I run my hand through my hair feeling the smooth strand get tangled between my fingers. I needed a quick bath to wash my hair. It was getting dry and I could literally feel knots in them already.

"Where are the other guys?" I question turning around to face her.

"They went out for their early duties. By the way, I'm going into the house so I thought we should go together."

Just thinking about going inside made my tummy churn. After what happened yesterday, I wasn't ready to go back. I wasn't ready to face Synn.

"I don't want to go back into there," I mutter playing with the tip of my hair. Maybe I was ready to open up to Abriana because I felt she would understand. She has always been the understanding type which was good because I really needed her back.

"Linda." She starts cupping my cheeks in her big palm. Her cologne was that of strawberry and chocolate which was a calming scent I could get used to. "You don't have to tell me if you feel uncomfortable but on my side, I'd like to know what happened." Her voice was supportive.

A wound was something that I would never like to open or touch. But Abriana knew about Synn and my feelings towards him. She knew that I disliked him and his sadistic ways but her knowledge of him was just a little. She had never seen him in action before when he was aggressive. But after last night, I am probably sure that her perspective towards him was changed.

I knew she knew he was the cause of my bruise but now she was demanding for the reason which I was so scared of saying.

"Synn was the cause of my bruise. He got violent because I lied to him." I say, feeling a string being pulled inside of me. This was the second time he was being aggressive towards me. I couldn't take it which made me scared of what he was going to do whenever he was snappy.

"What did you lie to him about exactly." She probed.

I shook my head remembering my silly excuse. "That I needed to pee."

I look up from my hand to glance at Abriana. I was curious to know what she thought about the whole situation but her expression was flatly blank.

I let out a big huff, feeling exhausted already and I haven't even started the day.

"Let's forget it, please. Let's move on." I plead so she gets the message that I hated remembering last night's incident.

"You need to be careful, sweetie." She finally finds her voice after a long pause. "I'm not aware of his ways but from what you just told me, he's very scary and dangerous." She whisper but I heard her.

I nod, rubbing my face. I was tired from last night. A night that I still couldn't remember what happened and how I fell asleep. The only thing I remember was Abriana telling me how everything was going to be alright while I lay my head on her lap. It was really weird. On top of that, I was hungry. The only thing I ate was just three slices of pizza and bottled iced water.

"Do you want to get refreshed here or when you're back in the house?" I hear Abriana ask as she folds the blanket I used last night to sleep.

I think about it for a second before answering. "I'll just get changed over there."

I look around the place, Anna's action to when I first came here. I asked her where she slept and she sadly answered that it was on the floor and couch. I knew she wasn't happy about the condition but I wondered what her reasons were for that tone she used to answer.

"Are you hungry?" Abriana asked glancing my way she served herself a cup of concocted coffee.

"Yes, I think." I grimaced from my reply not sounding sure. I didn't want to bother anyone because everything going on was my problem and not theirs. I think I've stressed them enough just by staying here overnight.

"Well, come on, let's go." She said substantially dragging my hand along with her as we exited the small cozy house.

I was suddenly met with the drift of cold air that made my hair stand on my skin. New York was a very chilly place which wasn't a shock by this time. I urgently needed a sweater and a cold bath. The walk from the staff's quarter back to the house was a minute walk. My body was not at ease as we approached, fearing what am going to be met with inside.

I watch as Abriana opens the big door that was installed at the entrance of the house. My tummy was heavy, somewhat feeling light-headed. She enters into the house, me following suit.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Mr.Synn. We are looking forward to walking with you in your next project." The deep voice blew across the room to where I hear, standing at the entrance.

Just at the right side of the room, on the dining table, I see a group of men dressed in black suits. They looked formal, their hair tucked into a style. I see the tall figure that I recognize so well at the end of the long table, white paper scattered on the table.

At the looks of it, they were just about to leave. I close the door that was behind me just enough that the little action earned glances.

I look down immediately at my feet feeling a secondhand wave of embarrassment flow through my veins.

"Sorry." I apologized but I was sure they didn't hear. I walk down the room to the staircase, feeling Synn's gaze on me throughout this time.

At first glance, Synn was having a meeting with this group of men and entering was just embarrassing. My cheeks were flushed as not getting used to the attention I received.

As I am about to take a step upwards, I hear the raspy voice.

"Wait."

Where are we getting at?? 🤥🤷‍♀️😇🥰