Caring for the devil

After the tiring day, I'd gone upstairs to brush my teeth, ready to go to sleep. I was standing in front of the big circular mirror of the bathroom as I brushed my teeth. I take out a face towel and pat my face after washing it with a face wash. Surprisingly, I hadn't gotten any breakouts since like forever. All thanks to my good personal hygiene. I quickly brush my hair and put it in a ponytail. My hair was getting thicker and longer which I liked. Going out of the bathroom, I turn off the light with my two fingers.

Whose blood was that?

I was left with four words hanging in my head throughout the evening. I still hadn't heard of any information concerning the blood in the toilet. So I made it my mission to ask Synn when he gets back from wherever he went to. Synn always goes out late in the evening. I wasn't roused by any of it but I was really bothered about why he goes out. Right after he gets back from his evening escapade, he would act really strange.

As much I don't like him or shouldn't bother, I still felt like I should at least care about his actions. He was a devil after all. Deciding I wasn't going to think much into it, I lay down on the bed. Drawing the covers next to my chin, I turn off the lamp that was on the stand.

'\'

02:00 AM

I hear the clicking of the door and the shuffling of feet next to me. My body warmth immediately gets high, my eyes opening quickly in reflex. I grip onto the soft blanket that was covered up to my chin in fright. I shouldn't really be reacting like this. I know no one can come into the house without anyone seeing but you couldn't blame my body. My sensory nerves were always on full alert.

"Stay calm. I'm the one." I hear Synn's raspy voice from behind me. I immediately let go of the blanket, my grip loosening. He really scared the life out of me. I lean properly on the bed as I reach forward to switch on the lights.

The room was brightened with bright lights of orange and calm cream light. I stood upright on the bed, my eyes travelling to look for Synn's body.

I finally caught the total mess of Synn's body on the blue couch. His hair was all getting on his face next to his eyes. He hadn't really trimmed it in a long time. I see his half sleepy form on the couch. His long legs were thrown on the armrest, his one hand over his forehead.

He looked tired.

Somewhere in the room, I see his shoes disposed carelessly on the floor.

"Go back to sleep-"

"Where are you coming from?" I try my luck. I see his body tense from my question, time ticking in the air. I bit my lower lips in agitation. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. It was likely he would burst out and snap at me.

"From getting high." Came to his response. I didn't really understand when he said he was high or getting high. I didn't even believe he would open up to me and tell me but he did. I remove the blanket from my warm body, the A/C touching my lap. I feel Synn's gaze on me even from his slumberous state, proving he wasn't sleeping.

My feet were clouded with pairs of thick yellow socks. I reach out to where his shoes were and pick them up, going back into the closet to drop them. It wasn't necessary but I felt I needed to.

As I approach back into the bedroom, I see Synn already standing on his feet. I immediately feel intimidated by his presence even though I should have gotten used to it by now.

"Were you waiting for me, princess?" The way his words rolled out of his tongue made my insides tingle. He rarely calls me by pet names but I must admit, I missed hearing them from him.

"S-sorry. I went to s-sleep." I find myself shuttering in a deep mess while my cheeks burn. I watch as he takes his long fingers and dives them into his hair, rolling them back. Some of his hair comes to stay on his face. I wish I could do so. There were times I badly wanted to touch his hair and feel how soft it felt between my fingers.

He didn't respond but glides through the room and enters the closet. I stand there fixed on my spot still tranquillized by the little action he just pulled. He made such a usual act look so beautiful.

I turn back to see him pull out a long t-shirt from his closet and his grey sweatpants. He closes the wardrobe with a shut and dodges into the bathroom.

Within a short minute of time, I see him come back from the washroom with his newly trimmed hair. It looked so arrayed on his head like it was done by a pro. His t-shirt was large falling down to his waist. His sweatpant was hidden under the big fabric. He looked cute.

"Why don't you go back to sleep? You still have some few hours before you wake up." He suggests. The caring side of Synn surprises me a bit. I wasn't used to it, yet, I still don't receive them a lot on other days. 

"Don't feel like sleeping," I answer taking a plop on the bed. He walks back to the couch where he resumes his previous position.

"You're tired. You need it." His voice was low and deep. I swallow the thick lump in my throat.

Why was his voice this attractive?

"I think you need it more." My voice was just like a subtle whisper. Small and soft. I think my eyes were playing jokes on me when I see a small smile grazed on his handsome face.

"Why does Linda care for a devil like me? It's really not good for your health." His voice came out confused.

"I don't care," I mutter looking anywhere but his face. He wasn't telling a lie. I had to admit that I was somehow caring for him in the situation.

"Have you find out anything about the blood in the toilet," I ask changing the topic.

"No." He said shortly. His tone was underlying and I knew he wasn't telling me the truth. I didn't expect him to tell me anyways.

I sigh under my breath, running my hand through my now-ruined hair. The sky outside was starting to turn dark blue meaning morning was approaching. I didn't feel like going to sleep anymore, my eyes were wide awaked.

"You know, I always wanted to learn how to read and write." I start by saying. All I knew was that I didn't know where all this boldness was coming from but I just continued.

"But I was only taught the basics by my parents. I never went to school and got mocked for it." I joined. At this point, I didn't care if he was listening to me or not. It was nice saying out loud my thoughts.

"But I hope that changes a day sooner or later." I sigh in sadness. Only what I could understand were diagrams and illustrations in the book. I'd never know how to read a full sentence. When Silver was still with us, he taught me baby steps like knowing how to spell my name and his name along with the short names of animals. Rather than that, my knowledge didn't increase over that.

I'd learned of something called Art. Silver explained that it was the ability to express an artist's creativity on paper. I was suddenly fascinated by just that simple word because it gave me meaning. There were a lot of things I'd like to express even by drawing.

I glance back at Synn to see his eyes closed. His hair was spread back on his head leaving space on his forehead. He looked so calm like this like he didn't kill or can never hurt an ant. 

I decided to try going back to sleep. If that it was even possible. I close my eyes as I gather the blanket under my chin, the cold air from the A/C whistling softly into the room. It was freezing cold. Synn didn't wear or had anything on him like a blanket. I doubt the big t-shirt would do anything to even keep him warm in any way. His feet were all out in the cold.

But all of a sudden, it dawned on me.

I was slowly caring for a devil.  

There is some progress between these two🤧

Comment and vote for more updates!