Chapter Nineteen

"Where is she?" I asked, running over to Luke.

"In the back seat." He responded.

I opened the car door and saw my mother lying there. I stroked her red hair and smiled.

"I'm glad she's okay." I whispered.

"Me too." Luke said, draping his arm over my shoulder.

"I saw Alaric. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. At least he died in battle. Now he can have an honourable death."

"It's all my fault."

Luke turned me so I was facing him.

"No, it's Valentine's fault." He told me.

"Valentine didn't ask for backup." I said.

Luke nodded his head.

"I did. So it's my fault." Luke said.

"Luke -"

"Clary. Let's focus on one thing at a time. Like your mother."

"I was thinking about taking her to the hospital. See if the doctors have any idea what it is." I suggested.

"It's a magical drink." Luke said.

"Magic doesn't exist." I said.

"It doesn't matter. They won't know what it is." Luke said.

"They won't know how to wake her up. But they might know what was in the drink she took." I pointed out.

"Good point. Okay, get in." Luke said.

"Clary!" Someone called.

I turned around and saw Simon running towards me.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Where you going?" Simon asked.

"I'm taking my mom to the hospital."

He nodded his head.

"I'll meet you there. I just have to take care of some stuff here."

I nodded my head.

"Alright. Be safe."

I gave Simon a quick hug before hopping into the passengers seat of Luke's truck.

~*~

I sat on the chair, a blanket thrown overtop of me. My mom laid unconscious on the hospital bed. Luke sat beside me, holding my moms hand.

A knock came from the window. I looked up and saw Simon on the other side of the window. I gave him a small smile.

"I'll be back," I told Luke.

He nodded his head and I got up. I left the room and quietly shut the door.

"The doctors don't know what she took or what was in it. They have no idea when she'll wake up." I told him.

"Why don't you go home, we got it covered here. We'll call you if anything happens." Simon said.

"I'm -"

"Not fine. You're exhausted. Go home."

"I'll be back later." I told him.

"I'd be worried if you didn't," he smiled.

I gave him a hug before leaving the hospital. I whistled for a cab and almost immediately, one showed up. I opened the door and got inside. I told him my address and sat back as he drove me there.