City of Ashes : Chapter 1

"Alec!" I shouted, throwing him an arrow.

He caught it and set up the arrow, before firing it at the Ravenor. It cried out in pain. It growled and threw Alec against the wall.

"Jace, we need you here!" I shouted, fighting against the Ravenor.

I watched as Jace ran towards the Ravenor. He brought his blade up and slashed the Ravenor in the back. It turned around and went to knock Jace, but he ducked. He gave it a hard kick in his legs and the Ravenor fell to the ground. I brought up my blade, and stuck it in its heart.

Something laughed from behind me. I whipped around to see a Ravenor holding the mortal cup.

"No!" I shouted.

It smiled before running out of the parlour.

"I'll go chase it!" Isabelle shouted, before sprinting out of the parlour.

"How the bloody hell did that thing get in here?" Jace demanded.

I was panting. Fighting is a lot of work.

"I have no idea. Any idea Magnus?" I said.

"My house isn't like the institute. Any demon can walk in freely." Magnus said.

We were at Magnus's house, discussing the mortal cup. We were all curious as to why I was the only one that could put my hand inside the tarot card and remove the cup. It's not like I'm any different then any Shadowhunter. I was created the same way.

"What I would like to know, is how Valentine was able to control the Ravenors because there's no doubt that this wasn't him." Alec said breathlessly.

"Valentine learned how to control demons a long time ago." I said.

"Let's just hope that Isabelle can catch the demon." Jace said.

As if on cue, Isabelle ran into the parlour.

"I lost it." She said.

"Damn it!" Jace shouted, curling his hand into a fist and slamming it down on the desk in front of him.

"Hey, there's no need for that. We'll find it." I said.

"And how do you know that?" Jace snapped.

I took in a breath to keep myself from snapping at him.

"Because the good guys, always win."

Staring at Jace, all the memories that I tried so hard to push away, came rushing back. No more then a couple months ago, we found out that we were siblings. It was one of the hardest things I've ever heard because I loved him. I still do. But now I lock those feelings away in hopes that they'll eventually go away.

"I need to clear my head." I muttered, walking out of Magnus's house. I hadn't waited for anyone to reply and to be safe, I took the flying motorcycle so they couldn't follow me. I went to one place that could always cheer me up no matter what mood.

I strode towards Simon's door and knocked. Moments later, Simon appeared, his shirt off and his hair disheveled.

"Simon, it's ten o'clock at night and you were going to bed?" I asked, a hint of amusement showing.

"Shut up, I like to sleep." Simon said.

"Can we talk?"

"Come on in, Fray." He said, opening his door wide. I ducked underneath his arm and walked inside the all too familiar place.