Chapter Eight

I was sitting on one of the seats in the library. My knees were tucked to my chest and my arms were holding them, keeping them there.

I was waiting for Jace. I wanted to tell him the truth. Who I am and everything else I've kept from him. Obviously I'm not going to tell him about the mortal cup, I already told Isabelle. That's more then enough.

The door opened and I jumped up from my seat. Jace quietly closed the door and turned to face me. We held each other's gazes before he started towards me.

I sat back down on my seat and he sat across from me. I looked down and fiddled with my fingers. I didn't really know how to start this.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Jace said.

"Mmm."

"About?"

I sighed and made eye contact. "I've been thinking about what you've been saying, how I've only ever lied to you. Well, now I'm going to tell you the truth."

"You've finally decided to trust me?" He asked.

"No. I just can't lie anymore."

"Okay then."

"Where do you want to start?"

"How about you start from the beginning. The first day we met. You were chased by a Drevak demon. They're messengers. Why?"

"Valentine Morgenstern is alive. He kidnapped my mother. He wants to find the mortal cup. But she doesn't have it and she can't tell him because she's in a coma. Sorta. Anyway, Valentine believes that I might know where it is...or have it. So, he's been searching for me."

I watched Jace process the information. He had started fiddling with his fingers.

"What's your name?"

"Clarissa Fray. But you can call me Clary."

"You actually told the truth about that one?" He says.

"Yeah. It's not like you can find out who I am by knowing me name."

"Actually -"

"No. I don't want to hear how you can stalk me."

He chuckled. "Who's your mother?"

"Jocelyn Fray."

"Who's your father? Your real one."

I shrugged. "I can't answer that one. I don't know. I always believed it was that man from the painting."

"How do you know Magnus Bane?"

"When I was younger, he put a block on my mind to make me forget anything that I've ever seen from the Shadow world. So if I saw you kill a demon, I would've forgotten it. Then my mother found out Valentine was alive, so she took it off. Wanted me to know how to fight so that I could protect myself. Magnus took it off. Well, all except that one mysterious block."

"Why did you really get your phone and weapon?" He says.

This one was trickier to admit. "I went to see Vampires. I took my phone just in case I had to call a cab or something. I brought my blade so that I could protect myself of anything happened."

"You went to see the vampires?"

"Yes." I say. "That's why I wasn't afraid to speak with Raphael. I brought Isabelle outside with me because instead of going to get Magnus Bane to fix Simon, she followed me to the vampires. She knew about my meeting. Sorta."

"So you trust her, and not me?" He sounded a little hurt.

"Half of those times, she just happened to be there."