Chapter 6

It was dawn now, and everyone had separated. Jace had gone off with Magnus while the Lightwoods went back to the Institute. Me? I couldn't. Not yet.

Ever since my mother told me I was a Shadowhunter, I've always longed for the feeling to be normal. I may have went to school with all the other kids but at the end of the day, they didn't have to go home and fight demons.

Before my mother told me, Simon and I used to have a place. A place where we would go if we were ever feeling upset or just wanted to be alone. Simon used it more than me but I did use it occasionally. Simon never knew.

I walked so far to get there. I could have called a taxi or even take the subway but I wanted to walk. Had to walk. It was chilly, and a part of me wished I wore better clothing. I tucked my hands under my armpits and kept walking.

The wind crashed against my face, giving off my scent to any lurking demon standing nearby. The only weapon I had on me was knife which I always kept tucked in my boot.

I don't know what time it was when I got to our special place, all I know is that it was definitely warmer. The treehouse still stood where it used to be. I was surprised to see that it wasn't damaged at all.

I climbed the sturdy wooden ladder and when I reached the top, I entered the small, square shaped house. Years ago, Simon and I had moved a small couch in here as well as mini fridge. Well, more like Luke did since Simon and I were so tiny. It was an entertaining week for me, watching my mom trying to figure out where everything had gone.

I opened the mini fridge and wasn't surprised to see nothing in there. Simon always ate all the food and left nothing for me. I slowly sat down on the red, plush couch. It was still comfy even after enduring the harsh New York conditions.

"Hello." I called.

My voice bounced off the walls and created an echo that returned. I smiled softly, remembering the times Simon would just sit here shouting stuff to hear his voice come back to him. It entertained us a lot.

Of course that was before I was told that I was a Shadowhunter. Before everything in my life got crazy. It was unbelievable how much I missed that normality. Before knowing what I was, I had always felt like a part of me was missing. That my life wasn't complete. It wasn't soon after that my mom told me I was a Shadowhunter.

Now I miss that feeling. Well, not necessarily the feeling but I miss knowing that my life had no greater purpose. Everything used to be so simple until one day, it wasn't. I never thought that I would be missing the feeling but I do.

I want to be normal again.

The leaf's rustled and I heard the ladder make a creaking sound. I got up from the couch and peered over the side of the treehouse to see none other than Simon Lewis.

"Simon, what are you doing here?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips.

"Just thought you might want some company." He said, pulling himself up.

I gestured for him to go through the door. Simon grinned and walked in, immediately heading for the fridge.

"It's empty." I said.

Simon opened the fridge anyways and I was pleased to see his disappointed face.

"Where's all the food?" He asked.

"Probably in your stomach. Besides, we haven't been here in years, it'd be disgusting." I said, sitting back down onto the couch.

Simon sighed and plopped down next to me. He through his arm carelessly around me like he's done so many times before.