Chapter 7

"Where were you?" Luke asked as I stepped into his house.

"Nowhere. Everywhere." I muttered, taking a seat on the couch.

"Were you at the city of bones?" He asked. I nodded my head. "Why?"

"I was at the Institute when they called for help. The Lightwoods and the Inquisitor were investigating the death of a fey, so we went to go answer their call. Valentine slaughtered the Silent Brothers."

"I didn't know they could die."

"Neither did I. I thought they were invincible. I guess not."

"And what about Jace? Is he okay?

"Jace is fine. He was the only survivor. He's staying with Magnus right now."

"And Jace agreed to that?"

"He didn't really have a choice." I said.

Luke walked over to the couch and took a seat next to me. He looked tired. His brows were furrowed together in worry, like they have been for the last couple months. I could see the stress lines on his forehead as he stared at me.

"And how are you doing? It mustn't have been easy seeing what you saw." Luke asked softly. A tone of voice he only ever used when he was comforting me and my mom.

"I'm still a little shaken up about it. I can't believe something like that could happen. It was appalling. I have never seen anything like it." I told him.

"You've been lucky in your life. You haven't been exposed to the harsh reality of this world. Yes, you've seen death but that doesn't even begin to compare to what Alec, Isabelle or Jace have seen. They've grown up with this their whole lives. You just need some time to adjust." Luke said.

"My mom should have been taking me out on missions when I was younger. Maybe things would have been easier now."

"Your mother was trying to protect you. She didn't want you to be caught up in the life she tried so desperately to get out of."

"Well I got dragged into it anyways." I muttered bitterly.

"And I'm sorry for that. Truly I am. We tried so hard to keep you away from everything. But you're a Fairchild. It was inevitable that you'd be thrusted into this world."

"I just wish that I could go back to the days where all I had to worry about was controlling my anger issues and not shooting an arrow at my moms head."

Luke laughed softly, obviously recalling the countless times he walked in on me aiming an arrow at my moms head. I joined in, thinking about those times as well. Those were the days.

My phone let out a ding! indicating that I got a text message. I fished it out of my pocket and looked down at the screen.

Simon
Just wanted to make sure you
got home safely

I smiled as I read the text. Luke must have seen it because of his next question:

"What's going on between you and Simon. Things seem different." Luke said.

I sighed and looked over at him, debating on whether or not I should tell him about the kiss we shared.

"Something is happening between us." I said, opting to only share a little bit.

Luke grinned and leaned back against the couch, throwing his arm across the back.