Chapter 5

We stood in front of the gates to the City of Bones. I have never been here before but I've read all about this place and quite frankly it wasn't all that it was made out to be. I was expecting to be greeted by a Silent Brother or at least get off some creepy vibe. I got nothing.

Alec and Isabelle stood on either side of me and Alec had a worried expression on his face.

"What is it?" I asked.

He shook his head, a confused look now etched onto his face.

"We should never have been able to get this close. They should have sensed our presence before we got this far. Now I'm worried." Alec explained.

"What does that mean?" Isabelle asked, turning to face Alec.

"I don't know." He admitted.

"How are we getting in?" Izzy asked.

"Well if I'm correct, the blood of the Nephilim should grant us entrance. Kind of like a key."

Almost as if those words were a key itself, the door began to open. As I peered inside, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was in fact wrong.

"Something's definitely wrong here." Alec said.

Neither I or Izzy disagreed with his words.

"Well, what else can we do then descend into hell?" I asked.

I pulled out my witchlight and with a deep breath, started descending the stairs down to the City of Bones. The stairs were wet and I would have fallen, if Alec hadn't caught me.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

Alec didn't say anything and I continued. We reached the bottom of the stairs and found ourselves in a long tunnel. One that opened out like a pavilion. I walked into it, and admired the space. That's when my eyes landed on a scarlet substance, smudged against the wall.

"Is that blood?" I asked, stunned.

"It looks like it." Izzy said.

"Where's the Sword?" Alec asked.

"Sword?" I asked.

"The second mortal instrument. It's kept in the City of Bones. Usually where that blood is smeared." Alec said.

"What do you think happened here? I mean - I thought the Silent Brothers were indestructible." Izzy said.

"So did I." Alec mumbled quietly looking around.

I walked around the pavilion. It was hard to see since there were no lights illuminating the place. I turned around to face the wall and nearly let out a scream.

Hanging on one of the spires on the wall, was what I could only assume, was one of the Silent Brothers. His hands were dipped with blood and his neck hung at an odd angle. My hand shot to my mouth and my eyes never left the body.

"Alec..." I whispered.

I felt hand press against the small of my back. Then, Alec was standing in front of me, his tall body blocking my view of the Silent Brother.

"Hey, don't look at him, look at me." Alec whispered. My eyes lifted to meet his eyes. The cold, hard, look that was always in his eyes was suddenly gone and was replaced by a warm, gentle look. He grabbed my trembling hand. "I've seen way worse than this. You haven't seen that much battles because your mom kept you away from this world. But I grew up in it. And let me tell you, this isn't even the worse of it. You were lucky at the battle at Renwick's. You didn't have to fight and see what I saw. It will get better. Seeing all the dead bodies. It will get better."