Chapter Thirteen

When we arrived back at the Institute, I went straight to the library. I need to tell Hodge. Raphael told me to know who to trust. I know that I can trust Hodge. I mean, the others have been trusting him for years and he's helped me so much already.

I ran down the steps of the library. It was obvious that he'd be in here. This is like Hodges home. Hodge stood in front of the window, gazing outside.

"Hodge!" I called.

He turned around at the sound of his name. "What is it Clary?"

"We've got the cup." I say excitedly.

His eyes lit up with excitement. "Where is it?"

"Right here." I said showing him the tarot card.

Hodge looked at me and gave me a are you serious look. "This is a tarot card." Hodge pointed out.

"Just wait." I put the card down on the table. Taking a deep breath I shot my hand into the tarot card and pulled the cup out. Hodge stared at the cup with amazement. He looked at me, as if asking for permission if he could hold it.

I gave it to him. He ran his hands over the delicate form. Hodge smiled as if he couldn't believe his eyes. I watched as Hodge started to walk away from me, the cup still in his hands.

"Oh Clary. Thank you."

"Thank you? What are you thanking me for?" I asked.

"For bringing me the cup."

I let out a nervous laugh. "Not to be rude or anything, but I'm not giving the cup to you."

He smiled at me. Normally when Hodge smiles, which is rare, it's genuine and kind. This smile. This smile sent shivers down my back.

"Oh Clarissa. You have so much to learn."

Suddenly, Hodges bird came out of no where and started to attack me. I let out a ear piercing scream. I covered my face as I felt the bird peck me repeatedly over my entire body. I shrunk to the ground and curled up into a little ball. I've never felt so hopeless in my life.

"Clary!" I heard someone shout.

From what I could make out from the cracks of my fingers, Jace was running into the library. He obviously heard my scream. I watched as two more figures followed him. Isabelle and Alec.

"Hodge! Tell the bird to get away from her!" Isabelle shrieked.

With a snap of his finger, the bird was gone. Even though I should have got up, I couldn't. I was frozen. Hodge. It didn't take a genius to figure out what was happening.

"You - your still working for V- Valentine." I managed to get out. My body was in pain from all the pecking that stupid bird did.

Jace was at my side in seconds. He turned me over so that I was lying on my back. He ran his hand down the side of my face. "Clary." He mumbled. The moment was long gone. He snapped his head towards Hodge. Jace was on his feet and was walking towards Hodge furiously. "How could you. We trusted you." He shouted. He pulled out his seraph blade. I knew that there was going to be a fight. But before Jace could do anything, Hodge had knocked Jace unconscious with his swift kick to the head.

"Jace!" I shouted.

I was on my feet and running towards him. That was until I ricochet off an invisible wall. I stared at Jace. Nothing was in front of me. Nothing was keeping me from going to him. I got up and tried again but only landed with the same result.

"What is this?" I demanded.

"Alec!"

I whipped around to see a Ravener standing behind Alec, with their sharp, venomous claw in the back of his neck. My hands flew up to my mouth in shock. Alec's limp body fell to the floor. The Ravener walked right past Isabelle. Not even bothering with her. Instead it came towards me. I started to back away but was unsuccessful when my back hit the wall.