Chapter 4

I sat in my room, reading the Shadowhunter Codex. Luke got it for me when my mother first told me what I was. This book helped me alongside my mother when I was learning. Even though I've read the book hundreds of times, I still loved to pick it up once in a while and read it.

A knock sounded at my door.

"Come in." I called without looking at the door.

The door opened and I glanced up. I was surprised to see Alec standing there. He stood there, hands clasped in front of him. He looked awkward.

I set the book down on the night table and sat up straight.

"Alec, what's up?" I asked.

Alec shut the door behind him and walked over to me. He took a seat next to me on my bed. I stared at him with wide, confused eyes. This was very uncharacteristically of Alec.

"Uh, you okay?" I asked.

"Fine, why would you ask such a stupid question?" Alec asked, looking down at me.

"Maybe because you're sitting next to me on my bed. And the last time I checked, you hated me."

"I do not hate you." Alec said. I gave him a look and he sighed. "Okay, I did  at the beginning. But not now. Well... I still do sometimes."

"Gee, thanks." I muttered sarcastically.

"Clary." He said, his voice suddenly becoming serious. "What's going on with Jace?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Please. He's my parabatai. I care about him." Alec said. His voice was filled with sincerity and I couldn't help but feel bad for him.

I've never had a parabatai but I know how deep the bond goes. They trust each other with their lives and they fight like one. They're almost like two sides of the same coin. So I could understand why Alec was so worried about him.

"You won't like it." I said.

"I don't care."

I sighed.

"He was upset. You know how finding out Valentine was his father messed with him." I said.

"Yeah. He was messed up for weeks." Alec said.

"Yeah. That kind've subdued and he was okay again. But then something else happened. Somehow that set him off. He went to this bar hoping to find Luke and he thought that starting a fight with a werewolf pack would... get his attention." I said.

"And after that? What happened when Luke arrived?"

"We all talked. He needed someone to confide in and Luke was the best choice."

"Why not me? I'm his best friend." Alec said, sounding hurt.

"He didn't talk to Luke just for the sake of having someone to talk to. He talked to Luke because he could relate to him. Jace loves Valentine but he doesn't want to. Luke once loved Valentine. Just like your mom did. He talked to Luke because he knew that he would understand him."

"Okay I understand that but what set him off?"

"It's better that  you don't know."

"I'm a big boy Clary. Tell me."

"Alec --"

"Just tell me Clary."

Did I really want to tell him? I know I shouldn't but I feel like he had a right to know. It was his mother after all.

"Your mom." I said.

Alec rolled his eyes at the mention of his mother.

"What did she do this time?" He asked.