Chapter One

"Now, let's practice your aim with the seraph blade." My mom Jocelyn said.

"Mom I've practiced my aim a thousand times I can do this." I said, kind've whining.

"Okay then. I'm going to put an apple on my head and you need to throw the blade threw the middle of the apple."

"Really? That's the oldest thing in the book."

"Well your the one saying you can do it." She said walking into the kitchen to retrieve an apple.

I shook my head. "Mom, this is silly.

She came out a moment later with a red apple in her hand. She stood against the wall with the apple balancing on her head.

"No it's not. It's a test."

"It's a stupid test." I muttered.

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"Nothing." I said with an innocent smile.

"Throw the blade." She ordered.

"I'm not going to throw a blade at you."

"Do it. I dare you."

I rolled my eyes and brought the blade up. If this was going to make her shut up....

"Amriel." I said, bringing the blade to life.

I brought my arm up and got ready for the throw. Making sure that I would hit the apple. I was just about to throw the seraph blade when I heard a familiar voice.

"Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Clary, let's relax now. Don't do anything to your mother you'll regret." Luke said.

I lowered the blade and laughed. I looked over to Luke. He had an amused expression on his face. He knew I was doing it for training. I wouldn't be surprised. My mom is always doing this test.

"Is your mom doing the apple thing again?" He asked.

Luke started taking off his jacket. He hasn't even seen my mom standing against the wall but yet he already knew what she was doing. It was a little bit obvious since she wasn't in front of me....and because she pretty much does this twice a week.

"She was telling me she could do it so I'm testing her." Jocelyn called from the living room.

"Your always testing her." Luke said.

"Well -"

Luke chuckled. "Jocelyn, one day Clary will purposely throw whatever she has in her hands, at your head, if you keep doing what your doing."

"He's not wrong." I said quietly. Quiet enough for only Luke to hear. He let out a small chuckle.

He walked into the living room. He walked over to my mom and took the apple from her head. Luke took off any hair that was on the apple, before he took a big bite. I laughed and Luke turned to face me. He walked over to me.

"How was training today?"

"Brutal." I replied.

"It was not brutal." Jocelyn defended. "Just tough."

"Same thing." I said.

She opened her mouth to say something but got interrupted by my phone. It was ringing loudly. I smiled at her then went to get my phone. I picked my phone up from the counter and put the blade down.

"Hello?"

"Hey Fray."

I smiled brightly. "Simon, what's up?"