Chapter 3

The three of us stood in front of the Institute. With the Sight, it was so beautiful. I never got tired of looking at it.

I had told Simon to go home and wait for me to call him. He was both upset and annoyed to have been dismissed.

Luke and I both looked at Jace, waiting for him to pull out the key to the Institute. Jace put his hand in his pocket, expecting to find a key but when he pulled his hand out, nothing was there. He laughed.

"I can't believe I forgot my key." He muttered.

"Did you not take anything with you when you left?" Luke asked.

"Nothing. I left right away, not bothering to grab anything."

So that's why he didn't do a healing rune.

"It's okay, I've got mine." I said, pulling my key out from my jacket. I went to the Institute doors and placed the key in the slot. I gave a twist and the doors unlocked. I turned back to Luke and Jace and gestured for them to come. "It's open."

As we entered the Institute, Luke bore the same expression I did when I first saw it. He was amazed and in awe at the beauty of the cathedral. His eyes looked at everything. Luke resembled a little kid who had just entered a candy shop.

"That must have been Maryse's idea." He said, jerking his head toward the elevator.

"It's been here since I have." Jace said.

We continued walking. Jace told us that she'd probably be in the library, so that's where we were heading. We walked slowly so Luke could admire the Institute.

"I never thought I'd be here." Luke muttered.

"Is it how you imagined?" I asked.

"I've been to both the London and Paris Institutes, and both resemble this one . But this one seems-"

"Seems what?" Jace asked.

"Colder."

I shivered as he said that word. The rest of the walk to the library was filled with silence. Once we reached the library, we didn't bother knocking and instead just walked in. As my eyes scanned the library, I saw a women sitting behind a desk. I could tell from the doors that it was Maryse, Isabelle and Alec's mom. She was middle aged with Isabelle's black hair and Alec's thin, wiry body.

In front of her stood a teenage boy. Even from behind, I could feel the familiarity radiating off of him. When he turned around and the sound of the door opening, I couldn't help but be surprised. But my surprise was soon turned into joy.

"Raphael." I said.

Raphael smiled, showing his sharp white fangs.

"Clarissa. Long time no see. I've missed you." He said.

I smiled and let out a small laugh. "Glad to see you too."

"What happened to you?" He asked, addressing his question to Jace. "It looks like you got torn apart by a pack of wolves."

"You're either very good at guessing or you know." Jace said.

Raphael smiled knowingly. "I hear things."

Maryse stood from behind her desk. "Jace. Did something happen? I thought you were going to stay with -" She cut herself off when her gaze landed on Luke and I. "Who are you."

"I'm his sister." I said.

Maryse squinted her eyes, trying to get a better look at me. "Yes, I can see it. You look like Valentine." She directed her gaze back to Jace. "So you brought your sister -"