seventeen

I'm exhausted. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. It's currently almost four in the morning, Omaha time and I'm wore out.

My flight was two and a half hours so we landed at three thirty, Omaha time. It would be almost five in Atlanta.

I call an Uber and wait for it to show up. Thankfully, it was only a couple minutes away. I slide in the backseat as he turns to me.

"Where to?" He looked about my age. Maybe younger. I told him the address of the jail. It was a twenty minute drive there.

He made small talk which actually calmed me down. When we get there, I thank him and get out.

Right when I walk in, it was four in the morning. I can worry about a hotel later. I walk towards the front desk.

The officer was typing on his computer so I cleared my throat. He faked a smile as he turned to me.

"How can I help you?" He asked. He was middle aged. Probably fifty. I try to contain my voice.

"I was wondering about two people who got arrested last night." He looked at me up and down.

I wanted this to be over so bad. I just can't believe I'm doing this alone. But anything to help them.

"What's your relation to them?" He asked with his eyebrow raised. Fuck. I have to think of something fast.

"I'm the blondes adoptive sister." I lie quickly. If I was white, the full sister card would've worked.

But he looks like he believes me so he turns to his computer. "Full names?" He asked in a monotoned voice.

"Cole Robert Brock and Samuel John Golbach." I speak. He types on his computer while looking.

He takes a deep breath. "Samuel is ready to be released but Cole has to stay a little longer." My heart drops in my chest.

"Why can't he be released now?" I ask, my voice a little shaky. I swear, if he was an asshole to them.

"He tried to resist arrest while trespassing so he has more charges. He also had bad behavior coming in here." I shake my head.

Fucking Colby. I shake my head while looking at the ground. "When can he be released?" I ask hoping it's soon.

"Later tonight at ten pm." He explained. I'm going to whoop his ass when I see him again.

I sigh as I look at him. "Can I go ahead and pay for Samuel's bail?" It was strange calling him by his whole name.

He nodded as I got the money out of my bag. I sit thousands of dollars down so I could bail him out.

I'm surprised I'm the first one to show up. I wonder if I'll be the only one to show up.

As he takes the money, he gives me the paperwork. "You can go sit over there while I get everything situated."

I make sure to thank him as I go over to the chairs. My eyes were burning and I knew they were bloodshot.

I start filling out the paperwork for Sam as the door opens up. I keep my eyes on the paper.

"Stella?" I heard a familiar voice speak. I look up to see Kat. She looked exhausted.

I could tell that she hasn't had sleep either. "We have a lot to catch up on." I tell her while she comes over towards me.

"What are you doing here? How did you know?" She asked in shock. "I'll explain it later. But don't worry. I bailed Sam out."

She looked genuinely happy. "Even under these circumstances, I'm really happy to see you again." She admitted.

I've honestly missed her like crazy. She was always sweet and caring about me. "You too." I fill the papers out and hand them back to the officer.