Chapter 19: Forgotten Call...

Ring, Ring, Ring.

Lucas drowsily opened his eyes at the sound of his phone ringing on the desk beside him. He rubbed his eyes sloppily and didn't even bother to check the name of who was calling. He just said quietly into the phone,

"Hello?"

"Hi honey, how are you?"

Lucas instantly recognized the voice of his mom and panicked, hanging up immediately and dropping his phone. He had completely forgotten to even call his mom when he got to Oldale, so caught up with Zorua that it had completely slipped his mind. The phone rung again, vibrations passing through the whole bed, and Lucas scrambled to get his gym badge to show his mom. He scoured through the bag looking for the badge, eventually finding it and hopping back onto his bed. He accepted the call and then turned on his camera and speaker.

"Hi Mom!"

"Hi honey, how's your journey going?"

"Oh it's going well, I'm having a lot of fun! I've got someone joining me on the journey, just as you suggested."

"Oh, who is it?"

"She's called Ellie, and she's really nice. She's also amazing at Pokemon battling!"

"Good to hear. So, any notable battles you've had?"

"I just got my Petalburg badge actually, here it is!"

Lucas shoved the badge up against the camera, and he could hear the pride in his mom's voice as she congratulated him.

"Amazing! I'm surprised you managed to get there so quickly."

"Yeah, but I did get some training done with Ellie and Harry, so that probably helped."

"Well, you'll probably be busy today, so I won't keep you for much longer. Safe travels, honey!"

"Love you Mom!"

The phone beeped as Lucas hung up the call, and felt a mixture of relief and worry. She hadn't asked if anything had happened to him along his journey, but she eventually would hear about the destruction of the Petalburg Gym and ask what happened. If so, would he tell her to be honest, or ease her worries by telling her that he hadn't come into contact with any of them.

It felt bad that he was even considering lying to his mom, but he knew that if he said he'd had a bunch of run-ins with a group of criminals, she'd no doubt send him back to Littleroot Town. And, he wanted to see more of the world than the first gym. Plus, he still had Zorua to reunite with its family, which was enough motive for him to decide to hide the truth from his mom. If it ever came up, he'd just lie his way out of the conversation. It's not like he was going to get hurt or anything. He had his friends behind his back and a gym leader.

He'd be fine, right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas rushed up the ramp leading to the lobby of the Pokemon Centre. Zorua and Torchic followed closely by Lucas' side and assisted him in pushing the door open connecting the basement and the main lobby of the Centre. Lucas wandered into the lobby and found that Ellie and Seijo were nowhere to be found. He pulled out his Rotom Phone and called Ellie. Lucas expected for her to take a few seconds to respond, but she responded almost instantaneously.

"Hello Lucas, we're just leaving the police station now. Where are you?"

"Just at the Pokemon Centre. Why did you go to the police station?"