Chapter 31: Let the Flames Burn Bright...

The leaves rustled and the branches flew in the wind as Ellie and Lucas started to walk through the forest. The sky was a bright blue, with the sun shining through the trees. Although, Lucas mostly stood in the shadows of the leaves above. However, eventually, after a small walk, Ellie and Lucas found a perfectly circular place of grass. It had destroyed and torn grass around the rim of the circle, and Lucas thought that something was off about it. However, Ellie looked excited upon seeing the plain circle and jumped to set up camp there.

"Come on, this is the perfect spot!", Ellie said as she began to hammer down one of the tents. Lucas looked nervous, as he was sure that something wasn't right. But, it was a spot that seemed more perfect than anything else they had found before. And, better than anything else they'd find elsewhere, in all likelihood. Begrudgingly, he put down his tent quickly. He was slower than usual, but Ellie helped him set up as soon as she was done with her own tent. Lucas smiled weakly as she helped him place the final peg and said,

"Thanks."

"No problem! So, now that that is over with, how about a battle?"

Lucas looked down to Torchic, finding it in fighting condition but to be much the same as Lucas. It was shaken after being buried alive by the gigantic boulders, crashing down onto its body. But, it weakly smiled, as if proving to Lucas that it could still go for fighting. Ellie smiled and said,

"Seems Torchic is on board. Then, I guess I'll be going Mudkip."

"Alright then.", Lucas said with a hint of nervousness as he began to take a few paces back. Ellie did the same. They were now at a decent length away from each other and Ellie called out for her Pokemon first.

"Mudkip, let's show them what we can do!"

Mudkip hopped from beside Ellie and into the centre, locking eyes with Torchic with a smirk on its face.

"I choose you, Torchic!", Lucas called out as the Pokemon jumped from his side and sat in the centre, flaring up and then cooling down immediately after. They both stood for a second, as Ellie would typically wait for Lucas to make the first move. But, Lucas didn't appear to be making the first move this time.

"Not making the first move? Fine by me! Mudkip, Tackle!"

Mudkip set its feet on the battlefield, then pushed forwards quickly, jumping from side to side. Lucas looked at it moving quickly around the battlefield, noticing Mudkip's increase in speed since the last time they had fought.

"Alright, counter with Ember!", Lucas yelled to Torchic. Torchic planted itself and spat out cinders at Mudkip, one concentrated and hard-hitting shot. But, Mudkip twisted with sudden agility, completely dodging the blow that Torchic had put all of its power into. It then headed straight forwards and tackled into Torchic's torso. Torchic screamed as it was sent flying back from the blow, rolling across the grass until it came to a stop, laying on the grass. Panicked, Lucas shouted back,

"Are you okay?"

Torchic began to get back up after nodding at Lucas, but Ellie was already planning a counterattack as Torchic was getting up.

"Water Pulse, Mudkip!", she commanded as Mudkip swished the water around its mouth until it formed an O shape and let the sphere of water fly. Torchic's eyes went wide as the Water Pulse exploded immediately on impact, sending it flying back to where Lucas was standing. It wasn't quite yet fainted, but its face as it lay facing upwards was of defeat. But, Ellie seemed not to be content yet until Torchic was fully defeated.

"Let's finish this! Water Gun!"

Mudkip began swishing around water from its mouth and was about to release it to truly finish the battle.