Chapter 55: Shine like a Spark!

In the core of Mauville City, Bolt stood in the gym room, tossing a Pokeball into the air, bored out of her mind. She was just waiting for someone to enter since she'd only had one battle for the entire day. Literally, anyone. Even if they were unprepared as Ellie the previous day, they would be an opponent that Bolt was thrilled to see. And, it turns out, there was an opponent just approaching. Suddenly, Lucas burst from the tunnel, but the wires underneath tripped him up. Bolt chuckled as he fell to the floor, and then she helped him up from the floor.

"Those wires are a safety hazard. Seriously.", Lucas said as he cleared off some specks of dirt that had fallen on his face.

"Well, you're the one running down a wire-filled corridor. Really, you were asking for it.", Bolt retorted, with Lucas having nothing to say in response. He just grumbled back,

"I'm here for a gym battle. I've got three gym badges."

"Alright then, getting out my team now.", Bolt said as she pulled the Pokeballs from the wall and tossed her first Pokeball into the air. Lucas stood adjacent to her, selecting his first as well. Bolt grabbed the Pokeball from the air, held it in front of her and shouted,

"Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be.", Lucas responded, with both trainers tossing out their Pokeballs. The Pokeballs clanked in the middle, falling onto the floor and revealing their first pick. And, just as Lucas had expected, it was Voltorb. Quick, nimble, easy to move around. So, he decided to pick the Pokemon who could deal with it best. And, the Pokemon that he had most recently acquired. Vibrava flew from the Pokeball, dust particles spreading from its wings around the room. Then, it glared down at Voltorb, then looked behind at Lucas.

"You ready to listen to me?", he asked, and Vibrava rolled its eyes. However, it wasn't a firm no, so Lucas took it as progress, and made the very first move.

"Alright, whip up a Sandstorm!", Lucas called out, and Vibrava whipped up a rather weak Sandstorm, using what little materials and rubble it had to create a storm able to interfere with the battle. It produced more of a haze, which did little damage to Voltorb, so Bolt wasn't worried.

"Rollout!", she commanded, and Voltorb began spinning on the spot, before rushing towards the wall. And, in sheer defiance of any logical psychics, it attracted itself towards the wires and sped up the wall. Lucas was in awe of the move, completely caught off guard. But, Voltorb used the wall to bounce off towards Vibrava.

"Mud Slap!", Lucas commanded, which just worked well for Vibrava, as it was planning to use that anyways. Vibrava's wings became a muddy substance that flapped away Voltorb back at the wall. But, Voltorb used the momentum from the slap to bounce from the wall, straight back towards Vibrava. Vibrava was knocked away, being sent closer to the wall. Then, Voltorb dropped to the floor and started to move closer to the nearest wall next to Vibrava.

"Use Mud Slap on the wall!", Lucas commanded, and Vibrava slapped the wall a couple of times, producing a substance that slowed Voltorb's ascent up the wall. In fact, it stopped it cold and left it vulnerable. Lucas decided this was the opportunity that he needed.

"Dragon Rush!", Lucas commanded, and Vibrava dived forwards with as much force as possible. It flew straight into Voltorb at full force, with the wires stretching out from the wall cutting and flailing from the force of the blow. Voltorb dropped to the floor but was not yet out. It still smiled, despite the monstrous blow and all the damage that had piled up. Now, Lucas knew Bolt was looking for a self-destruct, and he had to play carefully. But, Vibrava didn't seem to share Lucas' ambitions.

"Alright, Vibrava, use-", Lucas would've continued his sentence, had Vibrava not already set its mind on bursting forwards towards Voltorb with Dragon Rush. Lucas immediately knew what would happen next, and knew that Vibrava wouldn't listen to him. So, Bolt didn't even need to give the command, and Voltorb just exploded, instantly laying waste to the environment around it. Vibrava was sent flying back, and although it gave its best shot to keep going, it ended up falling in battle. Lucas sighed as he returned Vibrava to its Pokeball,