Chapter 70: The Grand Finale!

"Let's finish this, Combusken!"

Combusken's body formed from the Pokeball, stamping its legs onto the ground and engraving its burn marks into the battlefield floor. Combusken let out a caw before putting its arms up, standing on guard and ready to fight,

"Battle begin!"

"Combusken, Ember!", Lucas called out, with Combusken retching back and then spitting coals forwards. It cut through the grass like a sword through paper, cleanly dicing it and hitting Machoke in the torso. Then, Machoke continued to be rained upon by these bullets ablaze. Alex cried,

"Try and get closer!"

Machoke tried to take advantage of the tall grass, but compared to Zorua's nimble, small and inconspicuous stature, it was no Pokemon for stealth. Machoke was quickly dealt five embers in only a second, then when it came time to attack, it found Combusken in the air, looking down upon Machoke with no mercy in its eyes.

"Double Kick!", Lucas cried and Combusken swung forward with one kick, knocking Machoke into the air before a strong front kick launched Machoke across the battlefield, fainted.

"Machoke is unable to battle! Combusken is the winner!"

Combusken let out a cry, revelling in its victory only for a short period before retaining focus and getting ready for the next fight. Lucas smiled but didn't congratulate Combusken just yet. They needed to finish this battle first. Alex returned Machoke, not expecting any less of Machoke versus Combusken, congratulating it on its good work against Zorua. Then, it came time for Alex's ace.

"Haunter, I choose you!"

Out appeared the ghost Pokemon, shrouded in a mist cloud that was broken through by Haunter's phantom claws, sticking out its tongue at Combusken and then laughing manically. Then, it shifted its body around and refocused on the battle ahead.

"Shadow Ball!"

"Ember!"

Both attacks were quick and precise in their movements. While Shadow Ball definitely had more power behind the orb, Ember fired with a much greater force and speed behind it. So, when both attacks collided, it was of no surprise when they both cleanly took each other out, generating a thick layer of smog over the battlefield. It should've rendered both trainers unable to see anything, but Lucas felt like he could see Combusken's direction. And, based on where Combusken itself was standing, and what Lucas could see, he knew that he was close to Haunter. Meanwhile, Alex and Haunter were none the wiser. Just as the fog began to clear, Lucas yelled,

"Double Kick!"

Combusken jumped through the smokescreen in an instant, diving down on Haunter with a dropkick. But, Alex stood, simply with a smug expression on his face. Lucas was left confused at first, but then he watched as Combusken's attack went straight through Haunter.

"What?!?"

"Amateur mistake really. Expected better of you!", Alex cried as Haunter formed a shadow ball that drove straight into Combusken's back just as its attack finished, the fire-type crying in anguish. Lucas felt a pain soar suddenly in his back, but then quickly subsided afterwards like it wasn't there to begin with.

It was a critical hit!

"Don't give up! Flame Charge!", Lucas responded and Combusken got up in a flash, engulfing itself with flames and charging directly into Haunter. Haunter cried as it was launched away by the attack, but the Ghost-type shook its head soon after and got back into the game.

"Hypnosis!", Alex cried as Combusken continued to charge forwards, finding itself beginning to become drowsy. Its eyes began to sag and his brain felt dizzy. Slumber became tempting to Combusken all of a sudden, Lucas even feeling some fatigue as his limbs began to drop. But, his will to fight burned bright.