Chapter 20: A Spore-Atic Adventure!

I would just like to firstly apologize for the pun, I just really needed a title and that was the only thing I could think of. Regardless, enjoy the chapter.

The mushroom Pokemon scampered through the tall grass, almost falling over with every dash across the moist floor. It was frantically running from a Zigzagoon that had decided to make Shroomish its prey. Shroomish would've attacked back but the attacks were so weak that it would do more harm than good to stop and counterattack. Zigzagoon tackled Shroomish's back and sent the Grass Pokemon flying into a nearby acacia tree. Zigzagoon approached again, with footsteps sounding from behind. Shroomish assumed for it to be back up for Zigzagoon, but Shroomish would soon discover that the footsteps were not of enemies but allies.

"Hey, get away from that Pokemon!", a loud voice in the distance shouted, and Zigzagoon turned around and hissed. It pounced on the new target, and a split reaction revealed a small chick Pokemon jump into the air. Then, it attacked once given the command of its trainer.

"Ember, Torchic!"

The flaming coals scorched Zigzagoon's torso, and it quickly retreated away from Shroomish, going elsewhere to hunt for more prey. But, the Ember had caused a small fire to start on the grass, but it was quickly extinguished by the stamping of a foot. Shroomish slowly looked up, petrified that the new face would pose a threat, but a hand was extended to Shroomish.

"Are you okay?"

----------------------------------------------------------------Earlier in the Day--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an hour of walking along Route 102, the trio finally managed to see a large tangle of trees in the distance that was instantly recognized as Petalburg Forest.

"Finally!", Lucas exclaimed with glee, as he had heard so many good things about the people and Pokemon inside of the forest. He hoped for plenty of good battles, and Ellie hoped for the same but decided to not express her excitement for the forest as openly as Lucas did. Lucas had begun to walk faster as soon as he saw the forest, eager to enter, and the fast walk slowly evolved into a sprint across the countryside. He entered through a clearing where gravel had been paved as a footpath and looked around.

The grassy and moist air smelt unfamiliar to Lucas, but it was still a refreshing smell after a long period of nothing much at all. Lucas tried to look around for any sort of new Pokemon but hadn't managed to find any from the glance he took at the worn branches of the oak trees. He just figured that he would have to go deeper into the vastly unexplored forest to find all of the different secrets that lay around.

Ellie and Seijo rushed in after Lucas, Ellie accidentally bumping into Lucas and promptly apologizing. Lucas dismissed the apology and suggested to the group that they should start exploring for a while, adding,

"I really want to see what type of Pokemon live around here, and if any would be up for a battle."

"I haven't explored much here before, so I'm all for exploring.", Seijo added which surprised Lucas and Ellie that he didn't know the area around his own gym. But, Lucas wasn't gonna question it if it meant that he could go exploring just as he liked. But, Ellie needed to give her approval first, but she seemed to be more eager to explore than Lucas. She burst into a sprint around the corner, spreading grass all over the floor as she ran, and Lucas and Seijo quickly followed after her.

"Wait for me!", Lucas yelled playfully as he ran to Ellie's side and asked, "Why did you run so suddenly?"

"You gonna act like you weren't gonna sprint too?", Ellie asked with a smile on her face, and Lucas sheepishly said,