Chapter 90: A Lost Soul...A Broken Spirit...

Another hour passed where they were seemingly going nowhere. Every time Lucas thought he'd discovered someplace new, he'd find it blockaded by fallen debris. Or, water had leaked in and destroyed the room. It was just exhausting, especially with the plague of hunger always weighing on his mind no matter where he went. Still, he kept searching, even if it was ultimately a search that came up empty. At least he had the Water types alongside him to aid him in his search. Wingull to scout through tight gaps and places none of the others could reach. Tentacool helps to light the way with its crystals, Corphish to destroy any stray bits of debris with its powerful claws, then Surskit mostly as a clean water source, but also to help with Corphish in clearing the path by jetting down anything in its way with a powerful water gun. They made one good team, and they all got along with each other as well. Lucas could see that they'd been together as a group for quite a bit, just based on how well they played off of each other when tackling the challenges of the sunken ship.

Another mighty swing of its claws and a shard of concrete in the way shattered, allowing Lucas to slowly and carefully duck around. To his left, he found a room with a small glow coming from it. Curious of what may lay inside, Lucas and his team quickly headed over to the half-destroyed door, shards of glass lay discarded on the floor. The door tilted open with so much as a gentle push, and Lucas began to look around the place, using Tentacool as a lantern to illuminate the place. One glance around, and it became clear that it was some sort of lab. It was lined up with all sorts of broken test tubes, whether they lay in shards, or were still stuck in their holding rack. Then, there were small light microscopes in the dozens across the table, with one large telescope in the corner far too complex for Lucas to understand.

Lucas ran his fingers against the surface of the lab table, knocking the shards of glass to the ground as he did. His finger then found a small notebook, opened and filled to the brim with different scientific notes. No doubt, they were about various experiments that were conducted in this lag. Lucas could at least tell that, based on the various diagrams and small bits of print scribbled on. Lucas flipped the worn pages, going through months of work before the pages came to a stop entirely. The final page.

Investigation Report on Wattson.

A series of actions related to cancellation of the New Mauville Project turned out to be true. I recommend prompt disciplinary action against him as a traitor to our group.

"Wow. Traitor. Alright...", Lucas said, flipping the notebook shut and walking away, the contents still weighing on his mind, tugging at him like there was something dire contained in the pages. There had to be some other things in this room that could lead him somewhere. His curiosity was peaked, especially as his hand led him towards a filing cabinet, overturned with a few classified documents peering out of the top drawer, with every other paper having been flung out and drenched in the droplets of water seeping in through the walls and ceiling. Lucas grabbed the relatively undamaged classified folder, slipping out a piece of paper and reading it carefully.

Devon Secret Investigation Report

The development on new energy turned out to be true. The energy that uses Pokémon's bioenergy is called Infinity Energy.

Infinity Energy. That was something that Lucas knew a thing about. Mostly because Ellie had been researching it religiously when they were in Littleroot. Ever since New Mauville, she'd been fascinated with the idea of whatever was powering the facility. She knew it somehow came from the Pokémon which gave her a start, but unearthing the truth from the myths of the power of Pokémon was a difficult task. Many days, Lucas would walk into her room to find her sitting at her desk, consulting a book that she may have borrowed from her parents' bookshelves, or scanning through a research paper on the subject. Lucas would watch with awe as she seemed to understand scientific concepts completely out of his grasp. Yet, whenever Lucas needed something explaining, she could explain it perfectly to him. Although, he was often more focused on her than the thing she was actually explaining, but he got the gist after so many days of research and constant presentations explaining what she'd learnt.