Chapter 3 - Brig

It was almost midday when Sky reached the dock. As she past The Pig's Pen she saw Mr Ranks sitting outside with a pipe on the edge of his lips. He nodded to her as she walked past but there was no recognition in his eyes; it was a simple friendly gesture. Sky breathed a sigh of relief and silently said a goodbye to the man who had given her work when no one else would.

She moved on feeling a little more confident in her disguise. Her only problem now was that she hadn't signed up last night and she wasn't sure if they would accept her now. Her worries evaporated though once she saw the ship she hoped to sail on.

The Brig stood tall and proud in the bay. By far the biggest ship there today and Sky was captivated by its beauty. Its two mast rose over 100 feet high and both were fitted with square rigged sails. At the very top of the main mast the Kings flag flapped in the ocean breeze. Along its side were nine carronades, a type of small cannons, and Sky guessed there were eighteen all up and on the quarterdeck sat two long guns one for each side of the ship. In the middle of the deck at the wheel stood a man in uniform looking out over to the horizon.

Sky took a deep breath and forced her feet to move faster. Once on the wooden dock leading to the ship she was met by two navy officers one of which had accompanied the group in the tavern. Sky swore and lowered her head. Men carrying cargo full of food and supplies walked back and forth past her loading the ship. Her goal was to slip on to the ship with them but when she leaned down to lift one of the crates a hand stopped her.

"I don't believe you've signed up for this vessel lad," The officers she had seen before were standing in front of her. Taking a deep breath she faced the one who had spoken and crossed her fingers behind he back as the same face that had laughed at her last night awaited her answer.

"I heard about it from me pa." She explained keeping her voice low and quiet. The officers looked at one and other, "he was at The Pig's Pen you see and said you was recruiting," She hoped the fact that she knew they were at the tavern would help her cause. It seemed to do something because the men nodded.

"Only one problem lad, we need men with skills. Does a young lad like you have the skill need to serve the King?" The way the asked was as if it was every young boys dream to 'serve the King'. Sky thought of James then decided that maybe it was.

"Aye, Me pa taught me to read the stars and read a map." She told them just as she had last night. This time though they didn't laugh but simply nodded.

"Well, though those skills are good we need to know if you've sailed before."

"You're in a fishing town. Everyone and their grandpap knows how to sail." She couldn't stop the remark from sounding rude and internally winced hoping she didn't just blow it. One officer smiled at her remark and the other simply nodded to the crate she stood above.

"Put that in the hold and keep you smart mouth shut. One week on this vessel and at cheek will be gone. Am a clear?" His voice was annoyed but not angry.

"Yes Sir." Both officers continued and Sky watched them move away from her. She couldn't believe it; she had done it, she was a part of the navy just like her brother. She was a step closer to finding him.

Unsure of where to go she followed the men in front of her down to the hold at the front of the ship and place the cargo dying to know what was in there that made it so damn heavy. She had to put it down three times and had gotten many looks for the other men who shook their heads and murmured things she didn't care to hear. Now covered in sweat she took the steeps two at a time back up to the main deck and was relieved to see only a few more crates remained. She made the same journey once more with a slightly lighter crate this time and her arms were aching when she came to the surface.