Chapter 40 - On the staircase

Once the officers were all aboard, the crew were in remarkable good spirits and it occurred to Sky that some of them where as such because they knew it might be the last time they would feel freedom. The sun was still hot on their shoulders and many of the men had removed their shirts as they worked to keep the Belladonna's pace.

It would take them just over three days to reach Harpers Isle and Sky hoped that they only had to spend a few hours there for they could not waste much more time. Jenkins, who had been placed as guard over the officers as punishment for his actions on Karniva, said that the schooner had been launched only a few hours after they had left because the Commodore had wanted to make sure they would not flee when the navy finally attacked.

Sky had been waiting for the ship's doctor to see everyone else before she approached him. Only a few of Dustin's men had been injured on the schooner so she didn't have to wait long. Dustin too had seen Bates, rather reluctantly, as his stitches had pulled and his wound needed to me cleaned and rebound properly.

Sky passed him on the way down to the middle deck where the doctor was. It was cooler under the shade of the grid that separated the main deck from the one below and Sky was thankful for the relief. They stopped at the stairs and Dustin's eyes moved over her, a small crease forming between his brows.

"Are you looking for me?" Dustin took another step up so that only three steps divided them. His eyes moved over her face.

"No," Sky answered as she took a step down as that she was eye level with him, "I need to see Bates." Dustin's eyes narrowed and his intense gaze scanned over her searching for any harm to her finding none. For however remarkable he was, the man did not possess the ability to see through the layers of clothing, though Sky thought it a was skill he would use shamelessly.

Or perhaps not... Sky remembered what Thomas had said before and she too, despite only knowing him for a short time, could see Dustin had changed. And she knew he was not the only one.

Dustin nodded and Sky was glad he did not as her why, as she herself was not sure yet. He closed the distance that divided them so that they were on the same step. When he lifted his foot to keep going Sky's heart sank slightly.

"The Captain of the schooner had to have his foot stitched up," Dustin turned so that he was looking down at her with humour in his eyes. "I suggested Bates chop it off and replace it with a wooden leg. The captain did not seem to share my enthusiasm." Sky looked up at his ludicrous suggestion and Dustin laughed warmly, "That was Bates reaction too."

"Is the captain alright?" Sky had been fighting for her life and it had seemed like a reasonable thing to do at the time. Now however she was beginning to feel guilty.

Dustin leaned in close to her so that she could feel his warm breath brush her face. "He's fine. Cursed the fair maiden who did it to him the whole time though. With quite colourful language, I might add." Sky smiled. "For someone who isn't a dirty pirate, Sweetheart, you certainly fight like one."

Sky blushed. "He is the one who kicked me." She protested feeling the need to defend herself and saw Dustin grin just before she felt his lips against hers. It was a quick firm kiss, but one that sent warm tingles to Sky's toes regardless and when he pulled away Sky followed his retreat path and felt Dustin laugh against her. Sky lengthened the kiss by a few more seconds before she let Dustin lean back away from her.

"Well then, I'm glad you didn't play fair. We perhaps might make a pirate of you yet." Dustin turned to leave then and Sky smiled as the watched him disappear onto the main deck, her lips still warm.

How is that I ended up falling for a man like him? Sky's smile grew, And why the bloody hell did he fall for me?

She was in a good mood when she found Bates at one of the tables away from the hammocks packing up his tools. He looked up at her and back down at his bloodied hands.