Chapter 22

Once again Sky's plan was falling apart. Not only did she have no real evidence to prove that the King planed on attaching the secret rebel group, but she had no idea where they were. Sky figured that it wouldn't be as simple as going up to a person and asking for directions. This hunt required some kind of trail, but Sky didn't even know where to start looking.

No one had followed her from the palace yet and Sky was beginning to think she'd gotten away with her daring feat. Still, to be safe she kept a close eye on the path behind her as well as looking out for any officers that patrolled the streets. She was in the middle of the city and reality was beginning to settle in at how big Karniva truly was.

With each passing step, Sky was acutely aware that time was against her. She had to beat the officers to the Cormorants else they'd be slaughtered and her chances at finding her brother gone with them. She looked around and huffed. Sky hit her forehead willing herself to think harder.

They could be anywhere. I don't even know the layout of this place.

Realising her problem Sky looked up at the buildings around her. Most were double story homes and shops with flat rooves and some even had fences that prevented someone from falling off. Nothing was tall enough for what she needed though so she kept walking her eyes peeled for somewhere that would give her a good view of the city.

Sky had been walking for almost an hour and her time fame was slipping fast. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted what looked like a church. Driven by renewed enthusiasm she sprinted towards it dodging passer-by's and carts in her path.

The church was a huge monument with large stained glass windows and pillars built from dark grey stone. Sky could tell that it was old due to the cracks in the façade and the spreading ivy that had sprouted from them. The edge was lined with stone gargoyles that looked down on Sky with disapproving glares. Attached to the side on the right was the bell tower and Sky's target.

Debating whether or not to climb the stone wall of the church Sky decided she didn't want to risk falling to her death. She walked up to the door and pushed. It swung open on aging hinges and the sound rang out through the silent sanctuary. Sky stepped inside and shut the great wooden door behind her.

The space had been filled with pews that went to the front of the church and stopped just under a beautiful stained glass window of the virgin Mary. She was wrapped in blue cloth and her face was tender. The late afternoon sun shone through her face making her glow and casting vibrant colours across the tiles.

The church was not in service but nor was it empty. Sky was rather glad that she was not alone in this great space. Her father had not been very religious and as a result Sky had never set foot in a holy place such as this. The presence of people would make her task a little more difficult as it meant more witnesses but Sky was thankful that most of them were facing the front and had their backs to her and the bell tower.

Careful to walk with light steps, Sky ascended the stairs leading to the top of the tower. She took them two at once and by the time she was at the top, four flights higher, she was panting and hot. Eager she looked around for a door leading to the bell. It was on the other side of the tower and there was a great space between her and it. Sky edged over to the beam just before the ground dropped off and she could see down to the bottom of the tower.