Chapter 18

Sky was numb. Her entire body seemed to hum with a deep intense cold that had nothing to do with the temperature. It was well into the night. The crescent moon emitted just enough light to see in the midnight darkness. After Thomas had finished speaking they were both silent for a long time, the only noise was the sound of the water against the ship. The other pirates had gone to bed long ago and there were just a few men on night watch.

Sky looked at Thomas for the first time since he started and saw it. The love and devotion towards his captain was clear in his dark eyes. She had wondered what held their friendship and now she understood; they respected each other as human beings and they had both saved the other. But surely that couldn't be all.

"What did he say to you?" Sky was desperate for Thomas to continue; there must be more.

"Dustin?" Thomas smiled. "He called me a 'daft fool' and said he didn't need my help." The fond memory was so clear for him Sky felt like she could see it in his eyes and she smiled as well.

"Did you reminisce about the old days and buy each other a drink?" Thomas grinned at her.

"Along those lines. We spoke for a long time and he finally introduced himself as Dust. I told him I had no name and that he could call me what he please for I owed him my life." Sky stared surprised.

"You had no name?" She asked making sure her voice was gentle.

"I had been a slave my whole life and when on The Belladonna I was simply called 'Captain'." Dumbfounded Sky nodded. "Dust asked me if 'Thomas' was worthy enough and I laughed at his question telling him I'd be honoured if he called me 'You'." Sky was rather glad that Dustin hadn't been low enough to refer to this man as 'you'. "But, despite his wicked grin and bright eyes there was definitely something off with him and I didn't know what it was."

"How old was he then?" Sky asked.

"He would have been around nineteen I'd say." Thomas said. "I told him I could never replay him for what he'd done for me but it seemed to anger him. He told me that we were the only ones who lived. I didn't know what he meant at the time so I brushed it aside. As a way of thanks offered him a place on my ship and told him that I'd be grateful to sail under his command. I was happily surprised when he agreed and he said to give him a few days to sort out some business.

"I told him where The Belladonna would be and as we said our farewells we passed a drunken man. He tripped and the poor bastard lost his hat before continuing on his way bareheaded. I bent to pick up the thing and when I saw if had a massive feather I placed it on top of Dust's head and laughed at him. He grinned and simply pulled it farther down saying he'd see me in a few days."

"So that's why he never takes it off." Sky laughed thinking of the Captains huge feathered hat.

"Aye. True to his word he met up with us days later and I've sailed under him ever since." Sky smiled at the happy ending but stopped when she realised something.

"You said you pushed aside what he'd said because you didn't understand," She started, "What did he mean; 'that you were the only ones to live'?" Thomas' smile disappeared.