Chapter 15 - Belladonna

Sky was coming to realise that singing was a part of being on a pirate ship. They had begun sing only a few hours after they left Harpers Isle. It had started out with one lone voice; a man who was untying the sails knots to speed the ship up, but he was soon joined by the men around him when they recognised the song and pretty soon most of the crew were singing.

Sky was sitting on the poop deck analysing a map Thomas had given her. It was a little out of date as some of the smaller islands at the bottom were missing, but it had something other maps didn't. Someone, mostly likely Fane, had put in things on it that were very useful; like how deep the water was and were it was most likely to have 'spinner' which Sky assumed was a hurricane. Most surprising to Sky was that it indicated the wind patterns in certain areas. She was so fascinated by the map that she wanted to ask if there were any more she could look at.

After committing most of what she saw to memory; Dustin had 'suggested' that she know them without having to pull out a paper map in a storm, Sky folded the map up and stood. The mood on the ship was happy; everyone was well rested after last night and in good spirits, even the captain.

"Not much of a singer?" She asked him as a turned the ship more to the right. He leaned forward over the wheel and turned his head towards her.

"I don't see you singing," He pointed out. Sky frowned.

"That's because I don't know any of the words." Dustin smiled at her and Sky refused to let herself find comfort in his friendly gesture. He turned away from her and looked out over the waters. They were a beautiful blue green and the late afternoon sun made the surface look silver.

"Did you finish with the map?" He wasn't looking at her and Sky had to say that she had rather than simply nod. "Good. Put it back in my cabin with the others." He told her. Sky wondered if he even possessed manners. Probably not. She thought and skipped down the stairs. "Sky." She looked up at the voice form above her. The captain was looking down on her from behind the wheel. A slight scowl on his face. "Don't touch anything."

Sky smiled despite herself and pushed open the door to the captain's cabin. Once again she was stuck with how dark it was; the only light coming in from the yellow tinted windows at the back. It was a relatively large space. On the ground was a huge rug that covered most of the floor boards. Off to the right was a large bed its fame looked like it was a part of the ship; the same colour wood and it looked to be the same age. Surprisingly, it was all in order as if it had been made up only after it had been slept in with its dark sheets smooth and two pillows at the head. Sky almost laughed as she tried to imagine the pirate captain making his bed. The rest of the room was well kept with a small area hidden behind a door. Sky guessed it was mostly likely a bathroom or storage space. Up the back were the floor rose a step was an exquisite desk. It was made of dark wood and had elegant carved legs with and slight curved top. On it was an abundance of charts and maps and also and inkwell and a quill that looked like it matched the feather in Dustin's hat.

Sky made her way over to it and placed the folded map down on the desk. Temptation to read the other maps was almost too strong and she had to hold her hands behind her back.

Just before she turned to leave Sky saw an open book covered by other papers.She knew remembered Dustin's words and forced herself to move away form the desk. She got down off the step and stopped.

This could be my chance to find out what they are doing. Sky was conflicted between going back to reading the book and walking away.

Curiosity won out and Sky made her way back to the desk, looking around afraid someone would walk in on her. She gently pushed aside the other papers and saw it was a journal. It was made form old leather and was about as thick as her wrist and had crinkled wavy pages as if the book had seen some water. The paper was yellow with age and there were a few ink splodges on the right page.Sky looked over the neat cursive and it dawned on her that this must belong to Dustin. She scanned over it reading fast. The last entry was weeks ago.