Chapter 39

Yo Ho there!!! Disclaimer; like always the picture is not mine but it looks awesome and chaotic. All rights to the artist. It doesn't quite match what is happening because it's not night... and some other things, but you get the drift... like driftwood from a shipwreck... Sorry, bad joke. Moving on!  As always hope you enjoy the chapter and again, thank you for reading!

Sky had had plenty of reasons to feel afraid in her life time and nearly all of them occurred in the past few months. But not much could top the fear she had felt upon first seeing The Belladonna race towards her Navy brig as she and Lucus prepared to fire their cannon. And so, she understood what the people on the schooner were no doubt feeling as the massive ship closed in on them.

The pirate ship slid through the blue water like predator intent on its prey. The schooner had completely turned around by the time Sky could make out certain details clearly, like the rigging that held the sails and even the captain behind his wheel, but by that stage it was too late for the poor little ship. The Belladonna was already advancing at a deadly speed and if they didn't slow down soon they'd slice right through the other ship.

"Ease off the mains," Dustin called out over the deck, "We don't want to ram her," The men below worked to keep the ship moving as they pulled in the rigging for the main sail.

Sky looked through Dustin's spyglass once more before coming to stand next to the captain. Sweat was begging to line her brow and she whipped it away irritated and hot. It was around midday now and the sun was at its worst high above them.

"Rogue! Load the fore cannons and prepare to fire on my signal." Dustin called out to him and Sky saw the pirate give a sharp nod before running to the bow of the ship.

"Shouldn't we see if we can talk to them first?" Sky asked and Dustin looked at her like she was crazy. Sky shrugged, "You could save ammunition."

"But lose time." Dustin replied watching a droplet of sweat as it rolled down Sky's face. She whipped it away with a huff. She saw Dustin take off his huge hat, its feather bobbing on the top, and he placed it carelessly on her head so that it covered her eyes. Instantly Sky felt better as the brim shaded her from the harsh heat.

Sky smiled as she pushed it back so that it was out of her face and looked at Dustin with grateful eyes. He smirked, as if he approved of how she looked in his hat, before looking back at the schooner which was very close.

"We will try not to damage her too badly," He continued, "we just need them to stop and since it doesn't look like they are doing that..."

"Guns ready Captain," One of the men called out and Dustin gave him a nod in understanding.

"On my signal. Make sure you hit her on the tip of her nose; we don't want her sinking just yet."

Dustin spun the wheel and turned to Sky with bright and intense eyes. "Inside the cabin are my swords. There should be another there that you can use." Sky went to move, but stopped when his words sunk in.

"You aren't fighting." She told him sternly. He had been shot yesterday and there was no way he would be able to heal quickly if he reopened his wound. Dustin stared at her stunned into silence. "Someone has to stay on the ship. Let Thomas go in your place and you stay at the wheel with a gun."

"I appreciate the concern Sweetheart, but do not tell me what to do. Not on my ship." He snapped at her. Sky clenched her hands.

"Your side is being held together by a few stiches. You cannot fight. In fact, you should be resting right now-"

"Swords Sky! Now! That's an order." He barked his voice commanding. Sky clenched her jaw and bit back the rest of her concern. If he wanted to cause himself more pain then she would let him.