Chapter 37

Sky laughed madly with relief. She was on half on top of Dustin; her whole body was aching and her emerald dress torn so that it was exposing one of her naked legs completely. She looked down at Dustin panting and sweaty and laughed breathily. He did not join her in her jubilance and his eyes were extremely dark.

Sky pulled back so that she wasn't leaning on him and smiled. "We did it." When he did not respond she frowned and went to move away but he leaned up and captured her mouth with his.

Sky flinched in surprise at the kiss. Slowly she leaned back down so that she was pressed against him again and deepened the kiss. Dustin's hand went to her back and Sky moved so that she was even closer to him. And stopped moving completely, when Dustin hissed in pain from under her.

Panicked, Sky pulled back and saw the front of her dress was smeared with red.

"Dustin!" She looked back at him as he sighed and let his head fall back against the deck. His black top was dark around his side and clung to him. The smell of blood filled Sky's nose and made her mind grow fuzzy. "Bates! Help! Thomas!" Sky screamed and a second later the ship's doctor appeared next to her his good eye inspecting the damage to his captain.

"I warned you." He told Dustin who just groaned. "I said this was a bad idea Cap'n," Sky looked between them and felt wet steaks on her face. From below her she saw a pair of gold eyes watching her carefully.

"It's alright Sweetheart. I'm fine." Dustin groaned out.

"Fine!?" She cried, "Dustin you've been shot!" Thomas leaned down next to Bates who stood.

"Don't fret Lass; it's not his first time." Thomas helped his captain to his feet. Dustin cried out in pain when Thomas yanked him up. Sky bit her lip so hard that she broke it.

"No need to be rough." Dustin snarled at his friend who gave him a small shrug and handed him over to Bates. Sky could see the blood drip onto the deck and began to tremble. Dustin looked at her and gave her a tight smile trying to keep the pain from his face. "Tell him where we're headed and what the king said. I'll be back soon."

Somehow Sky doubted that, seeing as how he was bleeding out over the deck. But she just nodded. "Aye Captain."

Dustin gave her a smiled at that was filled with affection and touched her gently on top of her head before he moved over to the captain's cabin refusing the aid of his doctor. Thomas stood next to her and watched the door close behind the two men.

"Not to worry Lass. He'll be fine soon." She looked at Thomas and hoped he was right. It seemed too cruel to lose him now. "So, where're we off to?"

"The King said the Cleansing starts tomorrow. His first target is the southern Isles. But he might change it now." Which meant everything we've done was for nothing. Sky wanted to collapse in a heap.

"No." Thomas frowned, his dark brow coming low over his face. "His pride won't let him. They will be heading to the southern Isle regardless of what happened tonight." Sky looked at him, "The only difference is now they know we will be waiting for them."

"I hope you're right." Sky said and followed Thomas up onto the poop deck. She watched him take the wheel and call for all sails to be released.

She moved over to the railing and looked out at the mainland as it shrank behind them. There on the pier, she could just barely make out the figures of the officers and wondered which one had landed the shot on Dustin. The King's palace was still lit up and Sky thought about what would be happening in there now. If the King would be yelling at his men, or if Lady Bolivia was talking to him in that quiet manner she had. Sky leaned against the back of the ship and slid down the calved wall lost in her thoughts.