Chapter 57

Arrr mateies! How'd ye be doin'? This chapter is a little different.

While I enjoy them, I am not really in to writing alternating viewpoints because when I read them I always find myself disappointed that something exciting is about to happen then it jumps POV. I also find that I get more attached to certain characters therefore I don't pay much attention to the ones I don't like as much and miss plot. Lazy reading I know, but it's true. Hence, why most of my story is set from Sky's perspective, with the exception of the prologue. I was very tempted to include a chapter from Dustin's view after he abandoned Sky, but I feel like you can imagine what he'd be thinking. And I also didn't want to break up the flow and jump back and forth between the two.

In this case however, I think I have over used the plot explanation conversation cliché a bit too often so I'm trying something else. This chapter will be from the younger memory of Dana. I feel the woman should get a little credit for her character and another long story telling within the chapter with Sky putting in her thoughts isn't really what I wanted to go for. So I guess imagine this chapter taking place inside Dana's mind, but know that Sky is listening to the woman explain it to her. However, I should point out that Dana would not include all of the details that'd show her weaknesses because that is not how she is. But it's importation to know. The writing may be a bit different from normal as Dana's personality will tint it. (Hopefully or apparently all my female characters are written as the same one-dimensional heroine.)

So this is a bit of an odd chapter. But I hope it fits. Thanks for still trudging along with this story. Know that once things fall in to place regarding backstory and plot, it will start to heat up as we head into the climax of this story. Bittersweet.

Bek

Dana's story

The sun had long ago set, the cluttered space lit only by one candle. It had almost burnt down to a puddle of wax on the brass plate, casting long shadows across the workroom. Worn leather-backed books lined one side of the room, their titles, ranging from Elemental Occurrences known in today's world: Volume 6  to Densities of Liquids and their Properties, carefully ordered in a manner only understood by the two scientists.

One large desk was scattered with pages of notes and pieces of writing charcoal. To the far side of the room, a long bench was covered in ampoules of different chemicals. A dark swirling egg belonging to a Horn Shark, sat idly in a glass tube. A large portrait hung on the fall wall above the flasks. It was of a water bird; its inky black wings stretched out to its sides and its noble head lifted to the sky. The room was clear of dust and grime as its inhabitants took great care in their work.

"It doesn't make sense Bill darling. This man is crazy." The scribbles before her were crawling up the page like ants trying to escape the page. As an intelligent woman, it was infuriating to see the answer before her, but each time she reached out to grasp it, it eluded her grip mockingly letting her brush her fingers against it.

Dana had spent weeks doing equations and redoing them, only to think she understood before it slips away again. Aggravated she grabbed at her hair and pulled.

"Darling Love." Gentle hands took hers and removed them from her hair. Bill combed his hands through her locks softly stroking her scalp. Dana leaned back in her chair and shut her eyes as her husband made little circles with his fingertips down around her ears. He slowly moved lower to rub the tension from her neck that had built after hours of being hunched over.

"All the brilliant men are." She felt his chin against her head as he kissed her hair.

"I know." Dana sighed already feeling more relaxed. "I married one, remember?"