Chapter 52 - The Well

The covers were wrapped tightly around Sky's sleeping form. The small window of the guest room let in the cold morning air. The clouds prevented the sun from bathing the town in warmth. But to Sky it didn't matter; she had never felt so warm in all her life.

She hummed in bliss remembering her previous night as sleep melted away. Adjusting herself to loosen the blankets, Sky blinked in the pale light, a small smile on her lips. Her vision was blurry, her back to the door and to the man she's shared the night with. She blinked a few more times as her vision cleared.

Something white was sitting atop the small night stand next to the lamp. Yawning, Sky used her arm to lift herself slightly of the bed trying to focus her drooping eyes. When she finally did, what she saw made her frown.

The pistol?

Her waking mind took two steady and loud heart beats to work. All of the warmth she had felt vanished as though it were ripped from her arms savagely. Sky reached her arm out to the side where Dustin lay... Out to where Dustin lay... To where he lay. Sky's lungs tightened sharply.

No. She turned her head to look beside her. Her heart already knowing what she would find.

"No." The word cracked the blissful, wonderful, ignorant silence.

The other side of the bed was empty. She was alone. The door was shut and her boots from last night had been placed just inside; as though the person couldn't bring themselves to go any further into the room.

No. Sky stood on shaky legs as she looked back at the white pistol. The sun was covered, but it couldn't possibly be eight yet. The numb that was slowly creeping into her was shunned away as Sky felt an agonised rage sweep over her.

"No." She snapped swiping the pistol off the table and marched towards the door throwing it open with a loud bang.

Neglecting the boots, Sky flew down the stairs. She passed some women cleaning the bar of the tavern all of their faces grave. They looked up at her in shock. Some called out after her as she reached for the door. Sky burst out of the tavern and out on to the street. "No. No. No." She repeated her mantra over and over not realising it as she turned towards the pier.

What remained of the bonfire was a blackened mess against the white sand. The beach was empty of passed out pirates. The streets were not abandoned however; town's people, mostly elderly men and women walked around the market area aimlessly. Children ran across the path with jittery excitement. But Sky took no notice of any of this as her eyes locked on to what she still hoped not to find.

Far off in the distance she could see them. Her feet moved her towards the pier without her realising. When she had watched on Rendes the day James left on that ship, she had felt broken; she was scared for him and for herself. She hadn't known what would happen. Her heart had felt like it had been ripped out.

Now, standing on the small pier of Harpers Isle, she watched the three ships sail south towards the war. This was different than before. Too much had happened since leaving the secluded safety of Rendes. Sky was no longer a child scared of her future. And she was not broken to see them leave. No. She was angry.

A swirl of dark rage tightened in her stomach as the Belladonna led the way, guided by the pirate Captain. She thought of last night, his eyes and he held her, full of gentleness and love. Of his promise. She thought of Admiral Balthid at the end of their talk, he had known what Dustin was doing.

He knew, Sky's gut clenched tightly. His words finally sinking in. 'Do not resent what someone will do for the one they love. Be proud of them for their effort to protect others."