Chapter 46 - Tavern

The second her hands cut through the crisp surface, Sky sicked in her breath. As the water folded over her like cloth, cool and inviting, Sky began to kick. She was a good swimmer though she doubted she'd be able to hold her breath for as long as the pirates had. Like Dustin, Sky released a slow stream of bubbles to conserve her air and used her hands to scoop at the water in front of her until she could see the sandy floor beneath her. It was about a seven hundred foot swim and Sky need to stay under the shimmering surface to shield her for any eyes, but she knew she'd have to come up for air some time.

Salt stung Sky's eyes and her heavy clothes weighed her down, but she continued to push through the water checking occasionally that she still had the flare gun at her side. Once the sea ground was just out of reach from her, Sky's lungs began to burn with the need to feel oxygen. Keeping herself under until she couldn't take it anymore, Sky angled herself to head up towards the sun. Once her face was out of the water she stopped kicking and let her body bob in the gentle tides. She sucked in air slowly and exhaled through her nose as she blinked water out of her eyes. Harpers Isle was close now and Sky hoped she'd be able to make the rest of the way in one breath.

Once I get closer to the shore the waves will push me the rest of the way. But the sea was clam and the waves minimal. Sky looked over to the port of Harpers Isle and studied her best route. Luckuss wasn't huge, but it was a considerable size, and the whole village opened up at the port. There was only one way in. Unless you take the river down the east side. And if Sky was correct that's what the Navy had done, meaning Dustin's crew were forced to make their way onto the island via the port. But the town was surrounded in think shrubs and the wilting buildings around the edge provided the pirates with a suitable amount of space to take cover in.

The only problem in question was reaching them before they were spotted. Sky was the only one in the water now, the crew having made their way to set up the perimeter. Sky hadn't seen Dustin emerge and wondered what side he had taken, be it the west or east side of the port. There was no one there, the crew had disappeared like shadows and the town looked deserted. Where is everyone? With the looming knowledge that she had been above the water for a long time, Sky surveyed the port once more.

It was the same as she remembered; the market place lined the shore and there was a paved main road with the largest builds facing it. Sky saw the building she had been in where Bates had helped the injured people after the attack, and she looked up to where the white manor was standing proud and tall on the small hill a hollow feeling steeling in her gut.

Get to the market place and sort things out from there. Sky took a huge breath in filling her lunges to the brim and plunged under the water again. Soon the sand brushed her feet and the pull of the waves took effect over her body. Sky let it lead her forward towards the edge of the market where she had seen a small stall. Her chest was beginning to ache again and Sky tried to keep herself under the water until it became too shallow to do so.

Getting her feet under her, Sky crouched in the waist deep waves and scanned the shore. It was defiantly empty and that unnerved her further. Something is defiantly wrong. She just prayed that they weren't too late. Casting a quick glance up to the manor Sky saw that it wasn't deserted after all. Two guards stood watch at the iron gates rifles in their hands. From this distance Sky couldn't see their faces but their stances where relaxed. There was no need to be on alert when there was no one around.

Sky waited for a second longer to see if they'd turn away from her. It was highly possible that they wouldn't even see her, but Sky didn't want to blow the whole thing before it had even started. Turn. Sky begged. Just turn away for a second. They did not. Sky took a deep breath and looked to her target. It was a fishing stall, nothing but the frame work of a window. Nets were hung up with no order and there was a small roof that opened out like a window where deals could be made. The back part was open and there were a few empty wooden creates cast around it. Altogether is didn't provide much shelter but it was better than sitting in the water.