Chapter 63

It was well into the night when they emerged from the Fort. Sky hadn't felt fatigue so deep in a long time and while she wanted this all over with, part of her hoped it would be another few days before the Fleet was spotted. Each of the leaders excused themselves to inform their men of what had been discussed in the meeting. Dana had marched away with utter determination on her face. Sky knew her Cormorants would be prepared for the worst by the time the morning sun kissed the waters. Admiral Balthid had followed a few moments later pausing to speak with Nichola and Dustin. He would have to take a boat back to his men on the western Island and wouldn't be able to communicate later.

Sky waited alone, her back leaning against the cold cobble stones of the fort's external wall close to the gate. She sighed out the cool night air and let her head fall back towards the darkness above her, eyes shut. Her mind was a whirling mass of noise. Ideas flew this way and that and her thoughts raced with endless possibilities. She tried to concentrate on her breathing, but her head refused to calm itself.

"You are sure now is a good time Captain Hawk?" A voice disrupted her attempt at meditation. Sky opened her eyes and dropped her head down. A wave of dizziness hit her at the motion from her earlier smack with the Hull of Patchwork Sally but Sky pushed it aside.

Nichola was standing a few paces from her at the wooden door that led into the Fort. His red cape fluttered peacefully at his side. His expression was one of interest and hesitance making for an unusual mix in his dark eyes. Standing just in front of him and blocked subsequently from the torch light omitted from either side of the door, was a silhouette of a strong man in a hat. Sky smiled.

"Hang on." Dustin mumbled leaving Nichola behind for a moment as he walked towards her. "Sky Sweetheart?"

Sky pushed herself off the wall and turned to face him. She was so tired that she just wanted to rest her forehead against his chest and have him hold her. Dustin when he was directly in front of her he dipped his head to catch her eyes.

"You alright there Sky?" He whispered tenderly.

Sky hummed softly in response and hear the concern in his words. "I'm fine Dust. Just tried."

His gazed scanned her face for a moment longer before he looked over his shoulder at the Governor. Nichola was waiting patiently with his arms threaded behind his back and his stance in the direction the sea.

"He has some words to say to you." Dustin said a tinge of annoyance in his tone. "I can tell him to wait for another time. I'm sure he'd understand." His face softened as he looked back to her and Sky knew that even if he didn't, Dustin would make him understand.

"No." Sky told him. "There may not be another time. I'm fine Dustin, really. I can meet you back at the docks if you'd like?"

They had decided to spend the night getting their ship ready. Dustin seemed like he'd wanted to be ready to go at a seconds notice and his men saw no really problem in staying on their ship. Sky was also thankful, the last time she and Dustin had stayed at a Tavern she'd woken alone. This way, he would have to wake her up and haul her off his ship if he wanted to abandon her again.

"No," He mimicked her with a small grin and leaned in and kissed her nose sweetly. Sky was taken aback for a moment. "I will wait for you by the gates."

With that he walked past her down the path towards the Fort's gates. Sky tilted her head as she watched him.

"Lady Davion," Her attention was captured by the approaching Nichola. He bowed in front of her a knowing smile on his lips. "Please my Lady, a moment of you time? Your captain was rather reluctant to give me even that, but he said you may be more forthcoming."