Chapter 30

Sky woke and the world was shaking violently. Or rather someone was shaking her violently. Sky opened her eyes and instantly shut them as dull candle light appears so much brighter. Her head was pounding and her body felt like a stone.

"Finally. I was worried I'd have to roll you out of the bed." A boyish voice filled her ears and Sky panicked.

Where am I? She snapped up like lightening and smashed her face straight into something hard. There was a painful cry from above her.

"Bloody Hell!" Sky's eyes rest on a boy. His hair was messy from sleep and he wore loose fitting cloths designed for bed. Only when he looked at her did it click in her mind.

"Edward?" He was holding his face and Sky flipped her legs over the side of the bed and stood. Her forehead was sore. "I'm sorry. Are you alright?"

He moved his hand from his face and smiled at her. "Remind me to wake you up with a broom next time."

Sky looked down at what she was wearing and was thankful she had collapsed last night fully dressed and not in her undergarments. As the memory of where she was settled in as did everything that had happened yesterday.

"You should have let me sleep away my life." She groaned rubbing her face and whipping sleep from her eyes.

Edward grimaced. "Trust me, I would have if I could." He turned to leave the small bed room. "But unfortunately, we both have to be at a meeting in ten minutes."

Sky frowned. She assumed this meeting was about what had occurred yesterday and she was so tempted to crawl back into the bed. A bed that did not belong to her. Sky looked to the door way Edwrad and gone and sighed.

Here I am complaining. I've found my brother and he's alive and safe. Sky felt dread in to chest. When he just lost his.

She made the bed with more tenderness than needed and ran her hands through her knotted hair until it was smooth. Checking that everything was in order, Sky shut the door behind her and saw Edward at the table waiting for her. In front of him was a green apple. He chucked it at Sky and she caught it easily.

"Eat on the way; we're gonna be late."

Sky adjusted her shirt and followed Edward out of his house and into the bitter cold of morning. The air was crisp and Sky was jealous of Edward's coat. The sky was an odd greenish colour that looked like the water beneath them and the building that surrounded them were quiet. Sky guessed it was just after day break.

She took a bite of the apple and squeaked as its juices exploded in her mouth. It had been so long since she had tasted something so sweet. Ship tended to stick to bland, hard bread and dried meat because it lasted. Apples did not and Sky savoured the fruits flavour.

She looked up and saw Edward was looking at her with confused eyes and a lifted brow.

"Enjoying yourself there?" Sky whipped the juice from her mouth and hoped she hadn't been making any odd noises. "I don't think I've ever seen someone be... affectionate towards an apple before."

Sky felt her cheeks flood. "I like apples." She told him and watched as he smiled.

"I can see that." He grinned and turned. "Come on. We need to hurry up."

Sky took one last bite out of her now gone apple and threw the core into the sludge. She followed Edward inside the main building and hurried to catch up with him as he made his way to the meeting room.

Sky was surprised to see there were many rebels awake and about, moving past them in the corridor and talking to one and other. Some watched Sky with dark eyes, others smiled at her and some ever said 'good morning' in cheerful tones.