Chapter 29 - Dining Hall

As promised, Edward was waiting against the wall across the meeting room when Sky opened the door. Dana had told her to go get cleaned up and sleep. Sky knew that she really just wanted her out of the way and it was clear from the start that the others didn't want her there either; all the men gave her dark looks.

Sky was thankful to be free from the confined space and wanted to put as much distance between her and a certain other person. Dustin had caught her eye just as she shut the door behind her. His gaze was heavy and Sky could see that he wanted to talk to her.

Not happening. She shut the door, keeping her face emotionless and hoped he sensed her loathing.

"Glad I'm not on the reviving end of that." Edward pushed himself off the wall and walked over to her.

Sky turned and looked him up and down. He had changed from his battle clothes into a pain of lose-fitting pants and a thin, long-sleeved shirt. His hair was wet and clung together in dark points that fell over his eyes. Sky had to admit that he looked quite handsome. Though, as did the man she had just been sending daggers at.

Skyler! Priorities. She snapped at herself. "Is it alright if I get cleaned up... again?" Sky felt bad for being a hassle, but she really did not want to sleep covered in another person's blood.

Edward smiled and nodded. He led her back to the same bathroom she had used before and Sky promised him she would be quick. She emerged a few minutes later with her hair wet and her face scrubbed raw. Edward was nowhere to be seen. Sky frowned adjusting her too big, borrowed clothes.

"Edward?" She called into the empty corridor. When she got no response she sighed and looked down both directions. Picking the path away from the meeting room, Sky aimlessly made her way down the dim passage.

Her body was aching as if her skin was barely holding her together. It was a miracle she was still able to stand, let alone walk around the Cormorants' labyrinth of corridors. Sky picked passages at random and hoped they would lead her to someone willing to help. There were people shuffling up and down the walkway, moving past Sky like she was a ghost.

Everyone here has a task to do. Sky felt a confused jealousy rise in her. What am I doing?

A waft of something familiar triggered Sky's stomach to clench and emit an unearthly noise. She clutched it and bit her lip. The scent was strong and reminded her painfully of her attempts at cabbage soup.

In the winter cabbage and fish were all Sky's family could get; all of their best fish was sold to the town's people. An honest man, Sky's father believed that they could live off the littlest things. And so, they were left with soup that was more hot water than anything else. She remembered her father would always eat it and tell her it was wonderful and James would say the same, but would say he wanted a little more form the pot and come back with an empty bowl.

Just stop. Sky tried to push the memories of her family from her mind. She was unsuccessful.

Feeling oddly like a dog on a hunt, Sky followed the smell down the corridor and found herself in a large open room. The corridor opened up to reveal a large dining space cluttered with long tables and chairs full of men and women. A long line was leading down the middle of the room leading to a big pot at the end of the room. The rebels lined up holding bowls with eager looks on their faces.

The air was dull and the sound little as the conversations were hushed and unhappy. Sky felt her mood sink further and only the prospect of a full stomach kept her feet moving. She picked up a battered tin bowl and joined the end of the line.

"Sky." Her name drew her attention to one of the tables close to the entrance she'd come from. Sitting there was Edward surrounded by two other young men. In front of them was four bowls full of the watery looking soup.