Chapter 25 - Crow's Nest

The air grew colder as the moon rose high into the night. Sky could feel the knot of anticipation forming in her stomach and she looked over to the man sitting next to her. He was leaning back from the edge of the roof, his shoulders tense and his face controlled under his hat. They had been sitting in silence for a short time and already Sky couldn't take it.

"What was it like?" Sky asked Dustin. "Being in the navy." She was partly curious because she had only spent a few days upon the brig and wanted to know what it was really like. But also, and mostly, the navy was the reason James had left and she still, now more than ever, could not understand why. Dustin frowned. His face looked older and sad.

"I grew up here." His voice was just louder than a whisper. He did not look at her; instead his gaze was on the entrance to the alley watching for any sign of the men. "I grew up hearing how wonderful our King was. I saw it too, in the things he did and how he treated the people. I was ten when I decided I wanted to serve him." Sky listened intently to the sound of his gentle voice. His story affected her in a personal way that he could not have understood. She knew what he was feeling; she had seen that same feelings in her brother.

"Do you have family here?" She asked him wondering if it was too intimate of a thing to ask someone. Dustin clenched his hands.

"No." Sky did not press him for more. She saw the pain in his eyes and knew that if he had had family on Karniva they weren't here anymore. "How old were you when you joined?" She prompted.

"Why must you know?" He asked with sudden anger. Sky frowned confused as to what she had done. She remembered his teasing comments and good mood down stairs; she also remembered it was Edward that had whipped the smile from his face.

"Because," She said not wanting to get angry, "I have been roped into this mess and I don't understand any of it. You do. And you could tell me." She was careful to keep her voice kind. When he said nothing she wanted to yell in frustration.

If it has to come to this then fine,

Sky played her trump card. "You owe me; I've saved your life three times now."

Dustin frowned. "I do not owe you."

"If we live through this then it will be four times." When he still didn't say anything she took a deep breath. "I know where The Belladonna is docked and where this place is. I'm sure the King would be pleased for either bit of information."

Sky almost fell off the building in fright when Dustin grabbed her chin and drilled his dark gaze into hers. "Do not blackmail me Sweetheart." Sky's chest clenched at his dangerous voice. "Especially when you have nothing to use against me."

"I have two things," She said timidly. She didn't know why she thought he would fall for her bluff.

"I know you would not tell the King anything because; one, you wouldn't go to all the effort to save these people just turn them in now. Two; the King won't give you forgiveness when you have sailed with pirates and killed his men so you'd be handing yourself in too. And three;"

He tilted her head up and leaned in close to her.

"You do not want to cross me."

He held her face, his eyes and voice hard but his finders gentle on her skin. Sky didn't want to admit it, but he was right on every case. She wanted to hear his side, wanted to know his story.

"What did he do to hurt you so badly?" Dustin's eyes flashed and he let go of her face looking away. "Dustin? Please tell me." She could still fell the heat of his fingers on her face and wondered why he had to have such an effect on her.