Chapter 26

Dustin looked towards the alley and scowled.

"Warn the others." He commanded her and Sky leapt into action. There was a lantern behind them on the small crate and she waved her hand in front of it; covering the light and then revealing it after a few seconds. Across the gap she saw the others respond in the same way and she looked down at the main building and did the same thing.

"Sky," Dustin held out a pistol to her and she took it tucking her white one into her pants. It would be no use to her until she cleaned it out and that would have to wait for later.

"What now?" She asked coming next to Dustin and positioning her gun over the edge.

"Now, we pick off as many as we can." He pulled out his other pistol and pulled back the hammer. "And try not to kill any of ours." Sky nodded.

There was movement in the alley and she mentally prepared herself for what was to come. It was quiet, too quiet. Sky felt like something was wrong but she didn't know what. There was a loud gun shot and all the men rushed forward. Dustin fired and reloaded with lightning speed. The officers fell to the side of the path and into the water. Some landed on the deck and the others simply ran over them.

They charged the Cormorants stronghold with blood thirsty faces. Sky followed Dustin's lead and shot down as many officers as she could. It was dark and the air was still, making the whole thing seem unreal.

A scream from Sky's right caught her attention and she looked over to see the rebels had organised themselves and were ready to meet the officers. Sky continued to fire at the kings men trying to aid the Cormorants as best as she could.

Opposite her and Dustin, Thomas and Rogue did the same. And still the men kept coming. They poured out of the mouth of the alley their swords drawn. To her side Dustin swore.

"That's more than forty, Sky," He growled and threw his gun down.

Sky too was running out of ammunition and she tried to make her bullets count. Just below them, Sky saw Edward, his dark hair pulled back out of his face and his eyes fierce as he cut down the officer in front of him. Sky watched him impressed by his skill. Two officers rushed at him. Trying to bring him down together. Sky aimed at the one closest to her and fired at the same time as Edward charged the other. They both went down and Sky smiled happy at their joint effort. Edward turned and looked up at her. She didn't see any hostility in his eyes this time but rather he gave her a small nod in thanks and turned back to fight the rest of the men.

"We need to get down there," Dustin spoke cutting Sky's concentration making her last shot land in the water missing its target.

She faced him in annoyance. He was right; they could do nothing up here without guns and they would be better use down with the others. Sky moved past him to go towards the door. They had to get down there fast if they were to help.

"Sky!" Dustin grabbed her arm and ripped her backwards into his chest at the same time as a shot went off. It continued on its path and hit the crate smashing it. Sky breathed heavily against Dustin as he drew his cutlass.

All around them the roof tops filled with officers and soon the Cormorants protective wall was covered in the kings men like ants on a scrap of food.

"Shit," Dustin held Sky's arm tightly and pushed her behind him. The officer that had shot at Sky ran down the crooked roof towards them. He jumped off the side and flew down, his sword in the air above him. Dustin sliced through him before he even reached them. His sword clanged to the ground and his dead body followed. Dustin picked up the weapon and shoved it in Sky's direction. She took it her hands trembling.