Chapter 68 - Sitting Room

It was a surreal sight as the rebels and the defeated officers gathered in Intargo's port under the setting sun together. Of the two opposing flees, only twelve ships remained able to sail. The Belladonna and the Jane Duchess following close behind led the way for the others. Rogues ship was damaged and led by men in uniform. None of the rebels were present. The two Brigs that the townspeople had led astray flanked on either side. Lastly behind them, were the three remaining ships the Royal Olivia had taken against the Admiral and Nichola.

The Governor had apparently decided one war ship in his port was enough, three was excessive. And as a result his ships led the two man-o-war ships out towards the western island where the Maribelle had spent the night before. Sky looked out at the large town. She could not believe that that very morning they had sailed out to face their deaths and now they were returning victorious against all odds.

The sky was staring to turn a beautiful pink and orange streaks danced across the clouds. Sky was sitting on the railing of the Belladonna's poop deck her body tuned towards the water and her legs swinging slightly. The cool air was soothing to her sore lungs after so much smoke, cannon fire and blood.

"Sky," Marle tapped her on the shoulder. He had been happier than she had ever seen him. "He's awake."

Sky jumped off the ledge and looked at her captain. Dustin was speaking with Thomas in a relaxed manner. The whole crew was at ease; they had lost very few men only six of them had fallen during the battle on the Jane Duchess. Sky had listened to the list of names Thomas had read out with little emotion. She had recognised some of the names; Mr. Roberts had been one of them and Sky knew she had never really known some of the men who died. Jenkins' name was another she recognised and though they had started out very poorly, their mutual loathing had become something Sky could rely on. Another certainty gone from her world.

They were still waiting to hear from the others. Sky held little hope for those who had thrown themselves into the sea, even wish so many rescue boats. However, from what she had seen, it seemed the pirates had fared the best of the rebel crews. The Cormorants had lost many of their men and Sky was grateful that they still had people waiting off the Mainland in trade ships. For what they had lived through it was a marvel the rebels had survived at all.

"Thank you Marle." The man nodded and returned to the bow of the ship to help patch up the damaged bow.

Dustin looked up at her as she moved down the stairs and smiled. He looked much better now that the blood was gone. He still had a gash across his left cheek but it had stopped bleeding and his arms had been wrapped in cloth. His eyes were bright though and Sky though he looked ruggedly handsome under his hat.

The berth deck of the Belladonna was full of wounded men most of the part of the rebels, though Sky did see some in uniform. They lay on the deck of the ship and many were groaning in pain. It had been a few hours since the battle had ended and most of the worst sufferers had been left on the Jane Duchess. Bates would have his hands full just saving those with a greater chance of survival. Sky passed the men and a few cormorant women with small smiles. Many had taken only minor cuts. Dustin had refused Bates' attempts at trying to get the man to stay still long enough for him to stitch one of the deeper cuts on his arms. The Captain had said he would wait; others needed the doctor more than he did.

He was right. Poor Bates had been there during the battle and had gone through everything that they had. But it seemed the man's work was far from done. Sky hoped we would get a rest once they pulled into the port and Nichola's own doctors could step in. Bates was sitting at the head of a man who had unfortunate lost his ear during the battle. The surgeon looked up at Sky from under his brow and tilted his head to the right towards the stern of the ship.